10 gallon questions

Aug 23, 2005
bellaire, ohio
i have an old 10 gallon laying around, ive had it for years, cant even remember where i got it to be honest. im building a bookcase in a recession in the wall and i want to put it into the center, anyway here is my main question. i seen in another thread someone asked about using water from an established tank, like from doing a gravel vaccuum. i was going to use a sponge filter in the 10 gallon, which i have to buy yet. and i was wondering if i can use water from my 29 gallon to start up the tank, im going to vaccuming the gravel soon when i do my water change, so i wonder if i just took about 8 gallons from the 29 and put it into the 10 gallon if that would make it "cycled" or at least extremely advance the cycling stage. this tank is basically going to be used for either livebearer fry or maybe a pair of convicts(depending on well i am on getting the livebearer fry before the platys eat them). so will this water change thing work for my tank or am i just daydreaming here?

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
Water from your old tank would accomplish nothing. The bacteria you need to culture exist primarily in the filter. Very little is free floating.

The very best thing you could do would be to go out tomorrow and buy the filter you're going to put in the new tank, and start that running in an exiting tank right now. If you give it a couple weeks, you'll have an instantly cycled tank when you move it to the new tank.

~JW

Aug 23, 2005
bellaire, ohio
thanks Jwright, i appreciate the quick feedback. i guess i never thought about the filter media, i just figured, same water, same bacteria. ill have to run out and get that sponge filter before i start building the bookcase, if i go slow enough, theyll both be done around the same time..hehe.