10 gallon saltwater possible?

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
i am currently doing a 20g reef...it is my first sw as well, and i think it is going fairly well...i think the key to success with a nano is research research research beforehand because any mistakes can be catastrophes very easily in such a small volume of water...also, i hope you understand the limitations of such a small sw system...while a 10g in fw will support 5-10+ fish a 10g sw is best suited for one fish...maybe two depending on their size/waste production...i am not trying to discourage, just conveying information that i have

www.nano-reef.com has a lot of good info about such things as well

Kevin

Aug 13, 2003
indiana
Visit site
my wife has a 10 gallon reef tank that she has done all by herself. here are some pictures. it has
1- mandrian
1- yellow damsel(seen in pic)
1- small cluster of green button polyps
many stalk xenias and pulsing xenias
3 types of macro algaes
10 pounds of small liverock chunks and rubble
about 4 pounds of live sand
10 bluelegs
5 margarita snails
1 marineland 330

this tank has been running for about 1 year and has survived a 3 day power outage with only loosing some of the original xenias.
well i cant seem to see where to upload the pics so im going to put the pics in a new thread named 10 gallon reef.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
OK, I know you mean mysis, copepods and so on, but you're saying it's made a year on the stuff from a 10 gallon with live rock, and with no supplemental feeding? I wouldn't have thought that's enough. I've never kept a mandarin, but I've seen how much stuff a 20L minireef will produce, and I wouldn't have thought that would keep anything going for a year.

Aug 13, 2003
indiana
Visit site
i let my tank grow for a year befor adding it and the bugs were so thick and big that you could see them crawling all over the glass , rocks and sand in the daytime and at night if i shined a flashlight they would be swimming in the water so thickly it looked like a brine tank.