10 Gallon Saltwater

Zman16

Large Fish
Aug 1, 2005
Pennsylvannia
I don't know much about saltwater fish, but I do know there tougher to have than freshwater. I have an open 10 gallon tank with a filter and heater, and I want to start a saltwater tank. I have a few questions. What fish could i get for this tank? What do I have to do for a saltwater tank? And what do I need?

Last edited:

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Check out the stickies at the top of this forum for info on what you need. For a 10g, you don't need a protein skimmer, just do weekly water changes and you should be fine.

In a 10g, you're really limited as far as fish selections... figure 1-2 small fish. Percula/occelaris clowns, most gobies, firefish... a few more options too. Check out http://liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=2124 for some more ideas.

Zman16

Large Fish
Aug 1, 2005
Pennsylvannia
Okay. So I'm going to get some live rock for the 10 gallon. Can I still use my filter? Also can my 10g tank fit a Firefish and a Striped Goby? If it could, could I also get some sord of small crustation, like a shrimp or a crab?

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
You can use the filter, you'd probably run it without any media just for the water movement. You'll want to add stuff very slowly, starting with just the tank/substrate/water/salt, then adding the live rock, then after a while add cleanup crew (crabs, snails), then after another while slowly add fish.

A 10g is room enough for those 2 fish I'd think. You generally want a cleanup crew, not sure how many crabs (you will probably only want hermit crabs in a tank that size) or snails you'd want for a 10g. I think a shrimp should be fine too... is a striped goby one of the ones that forms a relationship with a pistol shrimp? I've heard that's really neat.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I'm not sure if that's one of the gobies that has that relationship (is it a red striped goby http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1728 ? 'cause that's not a shrimp goby). You've got room for a pistol shrimp... I'm not sure how deep a sand bed they need, and I know that if you get one you want to make sure to get the rocks resting on the bottom glass of the aquarium so that the shrimp can't burrow under them and cause the rocks to tumble down.

According to liveaquaria, these are the shrimp gobies: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=1852

Note that some of those get too big for a 10g.

Last edited:

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Hm... I think you need to do a bit more research. Corals take massive lighting, which isn't actually that expensive on a 10g. I think those are stuff you add after the cleanup crew... not sure exactly. Someone else would be able to help you more with that.

SW should have sg 1.020-1.025 (if you have corals, I think it's 1.023-1.025), pH 8.2ish, temp the same as a freshwater tropical tank. Obviously you want ammonia and nitrites zero, nitrates as low as possible... way down near zero if you have corals.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I *think* it's about a week... pretty much just long enough for you to get the hang of maintaining SW and making sure the water is staying stable and everything is working right, and the temp is where you want it.

Zman16

Large Fish
Aug 1, 2005
Pennsylvannia
Ok I got one last question. What kind of salt should I use? Should I use rock salt? And also, when (after I get my live rock, It will must likely be cured live rock) can I get the clean up crew, and then the fish?

Last edited:

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
I use Instant Ocean. It's nicely priced and an excellent product, used by the majority of hobbyists.

It's best to wait 2 weeks before getting the clean-up crew. Even with cured live rock there will be some die-off, especially in a new tank. However, I got mine in a week and a half cause I got impatient. About 5-6 reef hermits and 2 astrea snails are a good place to start. Also cerith, nassarius, and margarita snails are good and stay small. Avoid the turbo snails as they get big and can knock things over, esp. in a nano.

I'd avoid shrimp or starfish until the tank has been up for at least a month. These guys like more stable water conditions.

As for fish, wait another 2 weeks after introducing the inverts. Once again I jumped the gun at about a week and a half. So you can push it a little, but within reason. Get only one fish first.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
You want to use a salt mix specifically made for making salt water... like instant ocean salt or something. Normal freshwater aquarium salt is not the same thing.

I'm not to sure on the timeline, but at least until the tank cycles fully (zero nitrites/ammonia), or at least a few weeks to a month before the clean up crew. Might want to ask someone else though, I'm not real sure. My SW was already set up and established when I got it.