10 gallon tank cory cats, tetra and betta?

Jul 9, 2013
Would this be big enough to hold 1 male betta, 2-3 cory cats and 3-4 black phantom tetra? Also NOT black skirted tetra every one seems to make that mistake -_- I'm talking about BLACK PHANTOM TETRA

betta:2-3inches
black phantom tetra:1.5-2inches
cory cats:2-4 inches

Also Black phantom tetra get the same size as neon tetra.. but what's special is they can live in pairs and don't need to live in a huge group like other tetra but feel safer in bigger groups, this is with lots of live plants/cover, high quality foods, weekly water changes, testing kites and good eye for sicknesses in fish. would this be enough to reach full growth size that put above, room to swim and ammonia control (with the live plants to help). I realy want all 3 types of fish if possible. Also getting heater and already have filter , I've always kept goldfish and realy want to try something new. After finding out the horrible advice they gave about goldfish to me, telling me goldfish only stayed an inch and they die fast... I felt so bad I'm currently moving my goldfish to a 80 gallon tank with a buddy in mounths time (had fish for less then a month) who is currently in a 10 gallon sadly but since the 10 gallon will be lying around I thought I could put it to use when the goldfish are moved.

Jul 9, 2013
Also planning on panda or peppered cory cats, cand different types get along or should I stick with one type or are they the same just different colours? I will do more research on each type of fish I just need a general idea if tanks big enough or what species I can put in there so I can focus on those types but I realy don't like other types of tetra then phantoms...but still up for ideas, since wont be getting for few months yet because have to sete up 80 gallon for my goldfish first. Also if can have these fish do you think its best to add cory cats then black phantom tetra then betta

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I think it sounds like a good stocking plan. I have read that cories prefer to be in groups of their own species (they are not just different colors, they are different species). I believe the albinos are albino peppered cories, so they would probably school together if that appeals to you. It's been a while, but I thought I read on here at one point that someone had a few cories of one species and they didn't really associate much with another cory of a different species. Pandas stay a bit smaller and are probably better for a 10g than peppered cories.

If you go with pandas, I would probably say to add them last as they can be sensitive little buggers. So once the tank is more established and stable would be better for those guys.

Feb 18, 2013
Welcome to the forums !

To be honest, I shy away from 10 gal's since they are somewhat notorious for long-term fish keeping, they are somewhat difficult to cycle, then sometimes the bacteria colonies go ... and you get odd spikes of Ammonia \ Nitrites at weird times.

With that, the Tetra's will nip at the betta, the tetra's should have 5-6 in a grouping.

You'll also need to reduce the number of fish for the tank, the betta needs nearly half of it to himself.

You might want to consult AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor to help with your options.

aryle85

Small Fish
May 15, 2013
Illinois
I just had a 10g with male betta and 6 neon tetras. Quite opposite to what Rota said, my betta killed my tetras in a matter of 48 hours. I then gave the betta to a friend who was interested in keeping one betta in her 10g. I on the other hand wanted tank mates and this betta didn't seem to want it. Although many bettas can be more doscile, I've unfortunately gone through 3 quite aggresive ones. If you find a good comonation please let me know because my 10g is still running, I just haven't decided what to put in there.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Unfortunately, it can be trail and error to determine which tank mates a male betta will tolerate in a small tank like a 10g. I've had them get along fine with zebra danios and blood-fin tetras. Both of which are spazzy, fast and ignored the betta in with them.

On the other hand, a male betta in a larger community tank typically does very well.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I have a male betta in with a couple of mollies and have had no problems with either and there were also 3 otos in there. It was meant to be a quarantine tank but somehow things just never got moved out. I'm curious - did you actually see your betta kill your neons? So many people lose neons within a day or two after they first buy them just because they seem to be sensitive fish.

MomBitBit

Small Fish
Apr 24, 2013
I have kept one male beta and a lone Cory cat in a 5 gallon successfully. (I know Cory's prefer groups, but he was given to me and he has done fine)
I wouldn't suggest putting the tetras in there though...with mixing Cory's and betas, you get the bottom and top dwellers and they leave each other alone...tetras are just too everywhere for the beta.

1 (5 gallon) beta and Cory
1 (10 gallon) glowfish, platys and snail
1 (55 gallon) bala sharks, red tailed shark, black skirt tetras, serpae tetras and rainbow fish

DuctTape

Small Fish
Jul 25, 2013
Iowa
I think it sounds like a good stocking plan. I have read that cories prefer to be in groups of their own species (they are not just different colors, they are different species). I believe the albinos are albino peppered cories, so they would probably school together if that appeals to you. It's been a while, but I thought I read on here at one point that someone had a few cories of one species and they didn't really associate much with another cory of a different species. Pandas stay a bit smaller and are probably better for a 10g than peppered cories.
I totally agree to go with pandas, but I have heard mixed things about keeping different Cory species together. They are incredibly sociable, and at one point when I had a group of peppered Corys, they even hung around with my otos. They didn't really school with the otos (probably a lot because otos are not incredibly active), but hung around them nonetheless. I would still stick with one species though because it looks nicer in general, and they will probably be happier too!