10 gallon tank question

Oct 15, 2010
I have an empty 10 gallon tank. It has a heater, 20 gallon+ filter, gravel/plants, and I also have 2 dividers. I am looking for a number of fish that I could put into it. I have experiance with other tanks, so I already know about cycling, maintenance etc.*thumbsups I am planning on having this tank planted.

I have 2 male bettas that I am putting in the tank. I am quite interested in african dwarf frogs. I have heard about problems with them being with bettas- I am going to have 2 dividers- 3 seperate sections, with the middle being the largest. How many dwarf frogs could I keep in the middle?

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Welcome!!

You could just make 2 sections if you male bettas are relatively calm. In each section, you could keep 1betta and 1frog. Like 80% of bettas do fine with adfs. You could probably add 3 (per section) ghost shrimp and 1 (per section) apple snail as well for a clean up crew. *Some* bettas try to eat ghost shrimp, but it's perfecltly fine if they succeed. It's just a healthy snack, and ghost shrimp only cost like thirty cents anyways. So each section would have one betta, one froggie, three shrimp, and one apple snail.

Oct 15, 2010
I appreciate the quick reply!

I am not quite as interested in the shrimp or snail. I would like to have fish in there if I have 2 sections. Maybe some black neons or other tetras. I definately want the frogs in there. I would like the main thing (most of) to be the frogs. I would prefer to have the frogs in groups.

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
it's a wee bit small for other fish... each section would be about 5.5 gallons, so you wouldn't be able to get a proper school of 4+, unless you left one male betta in whatever he's in now, and did a community tank (without dividers) of 6-ish tetras, one betta, and 3 frogs. If you were interested in some algae control you could add 1 apple snail.

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
I agree that your 10 gallon separated into sections is too small to keep any schooling fish.

Is your divider clear? I only ask because couldn't the male betta's being able to see each other constantly possibly stress them out.

Oct 15, 2010
Yes, they are clear, with a white tint. I have had bettas in there who would flare at their reflection but not the other fish. I agree that there is not enough room for schooling fish. I guess I want a tank that doesnt have a small amount of fish in it. I know that it is a 10 gallon, and they are not as big in possibilities as say a 50 gallon.

Back to the fish- If I had it divided 2 ways, and I only had the bettas, how many frogs could I have on either side? If it is not many, I will find another way to keep the frogs. I have heard of people really pushing a 5 gallon tank and having 6 neons, a betta and a snail. I have also heard of this combo: 2 Bettas (seperated), 6 small fish, 4-6 frogs. This seems like a lot, but I have used AqAdvisor, and it said I would be 112% stocked.

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
I wouldn't keep more than 3 frogs per section. As I said, you can always add inverts (apple snail, mystery snail, nerite snail, cherry shrimp, ghost shrimp, yamato shrimp, etc.), but more fish is pushing it. I'd keep your stocking level as low as possible... Bettas are territiorial (duh) so having lots of fish is risky. Generally they leave intverts alone. I know shrimp don't sound that exciting, but they really ARE! Cherries & ghost shrimp breed easily, and they are quite active as well. I have yamato shrimp and they're so fun to whatch them cram all the food into their little mouths. Apples are neat because they're so big :)

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
i agree, I started the hobby wanting only fish, but soon got captivated by inverts (so much that I wanted to keep an invert-only SW aquarium). once you see them in real life, and especially if you figure out how to breed them (much easier than most fish) then you can have plenty of fun with inverts.

in AqAdvisor you want to shoot for something thats 85-90% stocking.

Aug 13, 2010
Sicklerville, NJ
Not sure your experience with ADF's, but they are very sensitive to water parameters. make sure the tank is well cycled before adding them.

On to your fish. If you were keeping it divided I would not do more then 1 Betta and 2-3 frogs. I would really not do that, I would keep the 10 gallon open and just do a school of small tetra's and some ADF's I guess. I had a Betta in a 12 gallon with a school of Neon's. The Betta was a rescue and was not very found of the neons......

Oct 15, 2010
I agree, but I need to have 2 bettas in the tank, because I have already made that plan and have them. I am setting up the tank and I am planning on 2 bettas seperated, and 6 frogs- 3 per side. I am getting some java moss and other plants for this tank. I am still working out some better combos myself, and I am choosing and deciding on the fish and plants.

Oct 15, 2010
Im confused. I have been told 3 frogs per section and 2 sections- total being 6 frogs. I want the frogs. I also have the bettas. If I dont get the frogs, what fish do you recommend? And how many?

Oct 15, 2010
Also, I have done my research, and I have heard about a gallon per frog. 6 frogs, 6 gallons, 4 more. I know the 1 inch per gallon is not always the right thing, but my bettas are not going to be more than 2 inches each. AqAdvisor says that 2 seperated bettas, and 6 frogs would be 81% stocked. I would be happy with this and not get any more.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
ok, try it out, but if you see problems with the bettas, like maybe fin rot, I would cut the number of frogs down a bit. overstocking will often have adverse affects on fish.
You do know how to properly take care of the frogs right?

I was saying that if you have 2 bettas and 6 frogs, you can have no other fish :(

Also something else has come to my attention. Can you please describe your proper filter maintenance? I mean describe what you think is the correct way to care for it. We just want to make sure there's no danger to your tank from those issues, since filter maintenance is important.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2010
In my tank, I would have 2 seperated bettas, and 6 frogs. That is it- no more fish. I do have tanks that I could move frogs into if I had to. I do not wish to overstock this tank.

On to the filter maintenance- first, since I am keeping frogs, I would need to cover the filter intake with sponge or mesh. I would swish the cartriges in old tank water as part of my regular maintenance, and I would replace them as I need to either going by the directions on the box or what other hobbyists suggest. I have heard different things too like- change the sponge when you cannot get it clean anymore or change the carbon in 2 months. I do not always go by this. If there is something I am doing wrong tell me and I will correct it.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Filter maintenance: ok you have the most important concept down, so thats good (using tank water).
Carbon should be changed like you said, 2-3 weeks. it doesn't really pay to use huge amounts since your changing frequently. the filter should be rinsed out with old tank water about every 6 months or if it slows down considerably. weekly maintenance should include washing the sponge/foam media and gently rinsing the carbon in old tank water. the sponge foam needs to be replaced when you think that its starting to just disintegrate and pollute the tank with fragments or something like that. in that event don't just switch it out for a new one, you must either float the new foam in the tank for around a month or if there is space put the new foam in the filter in addition to the old one for a month so that the bacteria can grow in good numbers on the new foam. that way when you take out the oldest foam your new foam is ready to accept the tank's nitrifying requirements.

just reminding you in case you read about this stuff a while ago.