10 gallon woes

Jan 11, 2009
A few weeks ago I bought a 10 gallon tank and later put a tiny bristlenose catfish, a 1 1/2 ' clown loach and a balloon molly in. My pet store said they would be alright together put the information i've gathered from the web says otherwise..... i would really like to get another clown loach as a companion for the other but i'm not sure.... please HELP!

It says in our profiles that loaches get around 1 foot and the minimum tank size is 50 gallons. So there is NO WAY you can keep it in a 10g. The bristlenose pleco will get around 6 inches and your molly will get around 3 inches.

Even though the clown loach may be small now, it will grow, or at least try to grow. If it doesn't have enough space, its organs will continue to increase in size while the outside of the fish stays small...you can imagine what will happen then...

Return the loach, it's an unsuitable tank mate. That will leave more room to explore other, smaller fish types. Just be aware that your pleco will get rather large as well.

Welcome to the tank! :)

TMony

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2008
Kissyboots is right your clown loach should be in no less than a 50 gallon tank. The bristlenose cat will be ok for now, but really should have a minimum of 30 gallons.

TMony

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2008
Sooner he gets in a bigger tank the better.
Check around, there are a lot of very nice used tanks out there. Look in your local paper and on craigslist.