10 Gallons and Algae-eaters

Dec 8, 2005
Harrison Twp. Michigan
I have a 10 gallon and I need an algae-eating fish to clean it up.

I used to have a Chinese Algae Eater but he passed on after a few months.

Which harty, small, algae-eating fish should I buy? How many?

Would a snail be better?

Thanks.

Mar 24, 2006
Pennsylvania
I'd say go with a snail, I have one in both my 10 gallon and three in my 20 gallon. They clean up everything and don't bother any of the fish. However, some people have had snails reproduce and then get overrun with them. So far I've had mine for over four months and I haven't seen eggs once.

As for algae eaters, I'm thinking you could get an otocinclus. I believe they only get about 2" big, but I'm not absolutely sure. Here's a good website on them, http://www.otocinclus.com/. There also is a clown pleco, but they do get 5", so they might be too large for what you want.

Hope that helps!

S-kate

Large Fish
Oct 21, 2005
Ithaca, NY
My mystery snails aren't all that great at cleaning algae. Perhaps if you had a lot of them? I don't know. I only have 2, one in each tank. I usually end up scraping algae off of the tank walls every 2 weeks or so anyways.

Otos are small and great algae eaters, though not overly hardy. I just got mine a couple weeks a go and it does a great job cleaning up the brown algae. Everything inside the tank seemed to get so much brighter, it was amazing.

But perhaps the snails would be better if you want somthing that doesn't require much care.

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
I love Otos!!! They are great tank keepers. I dont have a problem keeping them alive for a while. The only thing that I have found about them is that they are sensitve to changes in water conditions. Your tank should be establish before you add an Oto for 2 reasons IMO: 1) there needs to be something for them to eat and 2)your tank needs to be stable.
I have never had any luck with snails myself. They dont seem to clean that much. And they reproduce faster than Livebearers IMO.
No matter what you choose I wish you luck!!! :D

'-JIN-'

Large Fish
Mar 21, 2006
Penang,Malaysia
wat fish do u have in ur aquarium???mostly oto' were da best,snails maybe,bt for me snails bring alot of problems,when they breed they dont have enof food n startin to eat my plants.if u 1 to pt snails da best is mystery snails.or u might try using ammonia chips,they can control the growth of da algae.