10g Planted Procedure

Jake

Large Fish
Feb 15, 2007
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia , Canada
So after looking through many different fish websites and such I have realized that a 10g looks pretty good fully planted, I would like to do mine the same but I have a few questions.
Do I need to get into C02 to do a planted tank?
Should I put all my plants in before I add the fish? ( Build environment before letting the fish in). My tank is just running with water, no fish atm.
Thanks...
Any other tips would be great

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Depends on what you want. If you just want to go planted, you can go just easy plants like Java moss, Java fern, etc... and use whatever lighting, substrate, etc.. you have and do it that way...

Or you could go with upgraded lighting, DIY Co2, and plant substrate, go all out with some other plants.

Being that I am assuming this will be your first planted tank, I would read around this site first and see what you really want. For a first planted tank, I would suggest a low-moderate light with easy plants. Substrate depends on what you can afford. I like Eco Complete, some like othe planted substrates, but if you stick with the Javas and plop in some driftwood, normal substrate would be fine to make a stunning tank. (planted and driftwood kinda go together in my book)

Timbo

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2005
Nottingham UK
I use sand as a substrata. The fish like it and often sift it through their gills . It appears to be like scratching that awkward to reach bit. The plants appear to like it too. I always have some khulies or corries or whatever to turn it over regularly so that the detritus can get down to the roots and the sand remain oxygenated.
Fill the tank with plants and the ones that survive are the ones you buy to replace the holes left by the ones that don't. That way you find your own best solution to the plant problem..
Your fish will eat some. And sometimes it is good to replace those so that they get their fresh veggies.. Shrimp are good too (Amado/ reed Shrimp) As they will pick off any algae that starts on the plants.