10g set up

jwddboy

Small Fish
Apr 9, 2006
If its glass... get a big tough algae cleaner or just a tough pad (brillo) and scrub and wash it out a lot with normal tap water ( dont worry about treating the water. Chlorine will kill off any bacteria you dont want and there probably isnt any good really in there. ) All i can say is scrub it lots and rinse out and scrub anything in the tank.

When filling with proper water use a water treatment like a dechlorinator and that will remova any from when you were washing it out.

If its acrylic it will scratch easy but i bet its not so...

Kay

Medium Fish
Apr 8, 2006
Anchorage, Alaska
Okay so I wonna set up my 10g tank right this time, it hasnt been up and running in about a year now and I still have to clean it out from last time. Big EW!!! After the fish died I put it outside my room when I was living at my dads and now the water is evaporated out of it and probably has a lot of mold. Another big EWW!!

Anyway, How do you clean the sides of the tank without using chemical stuff that would hurt fish??

Kay

Medium Fish
Apr 8, 2006
Anchorage, Alaska
Settin it up :p

Anyone have any ideas on what to put in the 10g?

I got this one from my mom and I'm getting another one tomorrow from my dads. LoL I might as well fill my appartment with water. I dont have a filter or heater for my new tank yet but I will on friday.

Any ideas on what else to put in there?? I took the egyptian stuff out of my 45g tank and put them in there for now... maybe I'll stick to that theme.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
You can clean off the glass with a razor (if it has hard water deposits or some such), or a diluted bleach solution (if it's just dirty or you want to clean it out really good). Then rinse really well and make sure to add some extra dechlorinator when you refill the tank (dechlorinator deactivates bleach). Don't use a brillo pad... it'll probably scratch, and it probably has stuff you don't want to get into the tank. Rinse the gravel real good, and you'll be all set.

Are you planning to fishless cycle these?

Kay

Medium Fish
Apr 8, 2006
Anchorage, Alaska
I'm going to fishless cycle the glass one and try bio spira on the the other... I need to look more up on the bio spira though cus I dont know much about it... I've just red a lot of posts where people recommend it. I'm thinking of putting 1male/1female bettas in the tank or a couple of cardinal tetras and a betta.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
You don't want a male and female betta in the same tank, the male will most likely kill the female. Or he'll force her into hiding, and she'll be stressed out all the time and die from that. Cardinals and a female betta will work, cardinals and a male betta depends on the male betta's personality.

Kay

Medium Fish
Apr 8, 2006
Anchorage, Alaska
Lol thanks for the help on that though cus I didnt find much on different sites about male and female bettas being together... I dont want casualties! My hubby just wants a cool looking betta. Men. :p

Dec 23, 2005
Wisconsin
Heres some of my suggestions:
1 Male Betta and 3-5 guppies
Or
1 Male Betta 3 or 4 Platies
or
1 Male Betta 2(pair) or 3 mollies
or
1 Male Betta and 6 cardinal or Neon tetras
or
1 Male Betta 6 Harlequin Rasboras
I looked at the compatibility chart on liveaquaria.com and found out these are all compatible with a betta. Just to give you some suggestions but of course its your choice! Good Luck:)

Kay

Medium Fish
Apr 8, 2006
Anchorage, Alaska
my 10g has ornamints from Petco in there and they have fuzzy white hair growing on them? I'm not sure what it is... Just wondering if it was okay to be in there or if I should try washing it off? I washed it off once before but its growing back..

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Not sure what the fuzzy hair is... are you sure they're aquarium ornaments and not terrarium? Maybe try washing it off with bleach and then rinsing really, really good (til there's no bleach smell left).

I was going to say yes on the frogs, but your sig looks like you already got some anyways.