10gal cycling help!

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
The fish-less cycle of my new 10gal progressed much faster than I had expected. Nitrites spiked off the chart yesterday w/ an ammonia drop (happened on day 5). I dosed it again w/ ammonia last night.

This evening I'm at ~1-2ppm ammo, 5ppm nitrites and ~160ppm nitrates!

Do I continue to dose with ammonia at this point and let it go?

I guess what's got me scared is the near off the chart nitrates at this point @ 160ppm? Not sure if I need to do a water change at this point because of this.

Thanks

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Thank you OC.

Problem is, I'm a total arse!

I just figured out I have not been following the proper procedure for nitrate measurement! I have been shaking bottle #2 for 30sec, but I totally missed the shake the test tube for 1min part. Ugh!!

Not doing so gives you a false reading.

After re-reading the API instructions, I re-measured. 1ppm ammo. just off the chart nitrites. 5ppm nitrates.

I'm somewhat relieved with those numbers though. They seem more textbook?

Sorry for wasting your time and tnx for the help.

Joel

Feb 27, 2009
Take a handful of your 10gallon's gravel and put it in the 29. Use a piece of nylon if you don't want to mix the gravel in the end. It should speed things along.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
About a week into it and the little 10gal is gobbling up ammonia like a mofo and converting it to nitrites. I'll keep feeding it and wait for the magical nitrates.

Word to self... SELF? It's not the best plan to fishless cycle two tanks at once.. DUH?

Joel