110 gal... what to do

dogdoc

Large Fish
Sep 6, 2005
I called today on an ad that was hanging on the board of my LFS. A 110 gal tank for $125. It is true. Comes with stand, lights (not sure what), and other equipment. It is not set up and running anymore. They said they just wanted it to have a good home *SUPERSMIL . So now the dilemma begins.

First, I'm not sure that I have a place for it at the house. But the office is a possiblility. Or the basement. It was a reef setup of some type in its past life. And I haven't seen it yet.

What would you do with this tank? It sounds like it has an odd shape. I think it is 48" long x 18" wide x 30" tall.

I'm trying to talk myself out of it, but I know that it would be a rare find indeed at this price. (The divorce after I get it might be expensive though). Even the tank alone is worth a lot more. And I know it has some equipment and a stand.

I need to start out on a budget. I have spent all of my tank money on my 75 gal. So $800 worth of live rock is not an option.

Last edited:

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
I would buy it and sit it in the garage until you can afford to set it up, or put it in the office and use it as a tax write off....this part of the hobby is not cheap, and it is bad to skimp on the essentials...I would look into it as a tax write off...it is just too good a deal to pass up.
oh and that is the normal size for a 110, they are kind of box looking but still a nice tank if aquascaped correctly.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
If it's not set up right now, depending on the other equipment you might do better (pricewise) to set it up as freshwater... maybe you could sell off equipment if it is in decent shape and only for saltwater? That's a good enough deal to be worth buying a filter for it if it doesn't have one, and everything else should be reusable (heaters, etc.) or extraneous (protein skimmer, hydrometer).

I bet you could find LR for cheaper than that, if you're getting 100lbs of it online...

dogdoc

Large Fish
Sep 6, 2005
Yeah, I think I will have to at least go look at it. She said they still had the rock that was in it. I'm sure it is all dead, but I wonder if you could seed it with 20-25 lbs of live rock. The lady I talked to wasn't sure what all the equipment was. The tank was her husband's and he wasn't there. She did say that they did take a powerhead out of it for her FW tank, but gave me the impression that the rest was all there.

I have thought of just making it FW. I have a spare AC110 laying around. Actually, my first thought was to move my 75g planted into it. But after hearing that it is 30" tall, I don't think that would work well. Trimming and lighting would definitely be problematic.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
just make sure that they never used copper in it.

otherwise get it and if nothing else, store it and get your equipment piece meal until you can afford to set it up.

Yes you could seed the existing dead rock with live rock, it takes time to migrate to it but it can be done. Just be prepared for the time necessary to convert it to live rock.

All in all it sounds to good to be true. Where do you live and where is this tank, :) just in cast you decide not to get it..... hehehe