110 new tank cloudy water

Jan 29, 2008
i have just set up a new tank let it sit for over 2 weeks it was clear then i added fish(4 oscars,2 shark cats and 2 gravel digger cats) i cant seem to get it from being cloudy i used all the right stuff ie. cycle hp8.2 water conditioner etc etc any help??

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Well if you just let it sit for 2 weeks with out doing anything to it it's starting to cycle now that you have fish in it (there's several articals on cycling a tank in the beginer thread.)

If you did cycle your tank properly and you're just adding fish now it's normal for it to be cloudy at first infact the water can be murky for several weeks while the ecosystem of the tank establishes itself especially when adding that many larger fish so quickly.

I've never kept any of those fish but I'm concerned you're way over stocked, Oscars seem to be kept 1 in a tank that size not four. But there's people around who know much better then me about that.

Jan 29, 2008
i added water and had pump running for 2 weeks added the ph2 and water conditioner tehn added fish added "cycle" a week later cause guy at fish store said this would clear it up wow 4 oscars is to big for 110 gallon? bought them they were about 2 inches

iapetus

Large Fish
Jan 15, 2008
34:09:39N, 118:08:19W
i added water and had pump running for 2 weeks added the ph2 and water conditioner tehn added fish added "cycle" a week later cause guy at fish store said this would clear it up wow 4 oscars is to big for 110 gallon? bought them they were about 2 inches
Have you ever seen a grown oscar? They're going to get a lot bigger than 2"!

Provided your water parameters are decent, don't panic about the cloudy water just yet; things are still settling down.

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Ohh I missed the 110 sorry. I would say that 4 oscars is too much for even a tank that size but your better off waiting for somebody more familiar with them answering that question for sure. :p

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Okay first and for most you need to get ALL those fish out of that tank and take them back ASAP or you risk losing them all. You need to cycle your tank which means either adding ammonia (preferred) or a few small and hardy fish (not prefered by most) to it to build up the benificial bacteria in the tank.

http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/fre...eshwater-beginner-stickies-read-me-first.html

This link will give you a lot of details there's several others in stickies on the various fresh water threads.

Nov 27, 2004
New Orleans
Visit site
do the research, then buy the fish, and very rarely can you trust the guy at the store...but you need to cycle the tank properly (that cycle product you bought probably didn't do anything), and the fish you have will easily out grow that tank with how many you have in there, so if possible, return them. if not, keep them alive best as you can and try to find a home for them some other way.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Ok, if this isn't a Troll, you really need to take a peek at the link in my signature on "cycling a tank" and suitable stocking options for your tank. I can say that your fish are currently in extreme danger of dying of ammonia poisoning. "Cycle" will not do anything for your tank, it's worthless IMO. It does not cycle your tank, contrary to what it may say. Don't take any more advice from anyone at your fish store, they haven't lead you in the right direction so far.

Marvin - stop posting unless you're going to take the time to understand what kind of advice to give at appropriate times, you're "advice" here is not productive or helpful.

cchase85

Large Fish
Jun 6, 2006
New England
Sounds like it could be a bacterial bloom to me, they are common with new tanks.

Everything else has already been said. You need to return the fish, cycle the tank properly, and determine proper stocking. Don't stock your tank for fry, stock it for fully grown fish.