12 gallon nanocube

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
I've been thinking about getting a 12 gallon nanocube to set up as a small reef tank. Is this a good tank to get or should I get something else? Would I need a sump or skimmer on a tank this small? I plan on getting the deluxe hood which comes with (2) 24 watt 50/50 cf bulbs, would this be enough to keep a crocea clam, tube anenome and maybe a coral or two?

Also, would this tank be big enough to keep a clownfish, firefish and critters? I like oscellaris clowns, purple firefish, neon blue gobies, midas blennies, royal gramma basslet, orange sea star and/or blood red fire shrimp. I know that I can't get them all but I'd like to hear some suggestions on what everyone likes and has had good luck with since I'm a newbie to saltwater.

And I've heard people talk about cleanup crews, what exactly does that consist of? Snails & Crabs?????

I plan on getting the live rock from www.liveaquaria.com, the 16 pound nano reef pack, and probably tidal marine sand. Sound good?

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Hi MOsborne....I am just starting a 10gal nano...something that I found extremely helpful was on www.nano-reef.com and it was written by Stealhealr. Check that out - it answered TONS of my questions. It deals with the 24gal nanocube, but all the information pertains to nanos in general.
Actually here is the link to take you right to it: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=54602&hl=stealhealr

Good Luck (it's loads of fun). I know all the people here can give you great advice as well.......just wanted to share that link.

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I love the 24gal nano cube......they have one at my lfs on the counter and I can't go there without looking at it. My boyfriend and I were seriously considering getting one, but decided to convert our existing 10gal instead. Mostly because the cube is so expensive. I've heard horror stories of them cracking but this was supposedly remedied in the newer versions, so if you get one make sure it is the 2006 model, just to be on the safe side.
In all the reading that I've done I don't think it's necessary to have a sump or skimmer on a nano tank - just weekly water changes. I think a sump is more for tanks above 40-50 gallons.

As far as clownfish....oscellaris clown would be fine, but other species of clownfish would probably get too big for a 24gal.

Before ordering LR online, you should check out your lfs (if you haven't already)...sometimes the cost of shipping balances with what you would pay in the store.

If I am wrong in any of this, someone please feel free to correct me. I am a 'newbie' into the SW world too. ;)

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I know nothing about reefs and such, I just wanted to throw in what I knew of those fish. I have a percula (maybe ocellaris, not sure) clown, normal colored firefish, neon goby, and royal gramma. All are very hardy (esp. the firefish), eat great, get along, fine with inverts. If you go for a gramma, add that last. I like the royal gramma a lot, it has a lot of personality. I've never had a problem with any of them. They also eat everything I've ever tried except SW pellets... which may just be too big.

Yes, clean-up crews are snails, crabs, sometimes brittle stars. You don't need a sump on anything that small, and water changes work instead of a skimmer (definitely for a 12g, probably for a 24g too).

You can check you LFS for live rock, but there's nothing wrong with ordering online. It tends to be much cheaper even including shipping. I've never seen LFS LR under $8.39/lb. You do have to get it and let it cycle in the tank before you have any critters in there, because it'll have some die-off from being shipped that generally isn't good for fish and such.

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
I talked to the lfs and they have a big vat of live rock for $6 a pound. Would that be better than having it shipped, as far as die-off? If I take a bucket to the lfs and transfer the live rock from their vat to the bucket, would there still be some die off?

I might go with the 12 gallon, because I don't know if I can afford the live rock for the 24 gallon! I like a lot of live rock, so I was thinking 15-16 lbs in a 12 gallon. Do you attach the live rock pieces together, or just stick them on top of each other?

First I have to try to convince hubby to let me get another tank :p

BTW, would a 12 gallon be big enough for an oscellaris clown and firefish, with some inverts?

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
you can either stack it or ziptie, mold, glue, drill, it together.

Moving it in a bucket will avoid most die off...but die off isnt a big deal because there is nothing in the tank.
A 12 gallon would be fine for a ocellaris and a firefish with some inverts as well.