120 gallon tank

Nov 26, 2005
bucks county, PA
Hey guys.. I'm rather new to the board. I've been reading about every post i could find before i posted. I've had fresh water for years and years so i'm gonna try my hands at salt water. (this sounds like every 1st timers post):D Anyways i plan on buying AGA 120 gallon MegaFlow tank. The tanks is 48x24x24 with 2 over flows in the paperwork they say it's Flow Rate G.P.H. is 1200. I was just wondering what brand pump you guys like for this size tank. I was planing to run about a 30 35gl sump. The tanks going to have lots of live rock. Then in a few months corals, inverts and some fish. It's going to be more a reef tank then fish. Also something i'm not to up and up on what kinda lighting to run. Would the Aqualight Plus Dual Compact Fluorescent w/ Moonlight 48" work? My names Ryan thanks a lot for your help.

Last edited:

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
well, I kind of like the longer tanks, unless it is a space issue with you I would go with the 125, they look nicer, are easier to clean, more swimming room, etc...an overflow is a great idea, magflow or tunze are great brands for return pumps, since your doing a dual overflow, maybe have 2 pumps, you can never have too much flow....and if your going to keep corals that light wont really work on a tank like that, unless all you want to keep is softies, which most people get tired of after a while....you really should invest in some Metal Halides, there the best bang for your buck, hope this helped
Brahm
p.s. welcome to the tank

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
i agree with everything aresgod is saying up there

for my return pumps i am using a MagDrive and I really like it...quiet, efficient, reliable.

in my opinion a 35g sump is kind of small for a tank of that size when you consider the amount of flow you are going to have rushing through that guy I think you might want to consider something a little better. that said, it should still work for you

welcome aboard

Nov 26, 2005
bucks county, PA
I had been looking at the AGA 125 I have the room for it so i guess ill go for it its about 50$ less so thats a plus. I was leaning more towards MH lights. I plan to have some Anemones few Cleaner Shrimp and mostly lps corals and down the road some sps i dont think ill keep many softies thanks for the reply aresgod

1979 camaro: yeah i thought a 35 would be small how would a 50 be you think?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I like 4x2x2 - it's a good shape to aquascape - most american tanks are hopelessly narrow front to back. And I like eheim pumps myself, and also I suggest going with 2 *150 or 250 MH fixtures for lighting

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I think 2 will be fine. The tank is only 4 feet long at the end of the day, so there is almost nothing you can't keep under 2 * 250, and adding the extra one is just going to increase the dent in your startup budget and running costs. You can add the actinics or not, they're there to look pretty, not do anything much useful.
Oh - I see you're up to 6 feet now. I would buy 2 and see if you can position them to work, and get the 3rd if I needed to. However I would say don't discard the 120 as a tank - sure the 125 is 2 feet longer, which is not to be sniffed at, but a tank that's only 18 inches wide is not going to aquascape well unless you are prepared to really go to town with milliput, plastic zipties tubing and so on to really get some height on the rock. If you just pile up little pieces of LR, frankly it will likely look the same as everyone elses tank.
What are you going to do for flow? I can really recommend the Tunze's

Nov 26, 2005
bucks county, PA
So far the plan is to run 3 MH 250w 10,000k lamps and 2 PC 96w Actinic lights. The filter system about 230 250 lbs or more live rock with a 60 gal sump. For the return 2 little giant 850 gl/hr pumps and y off the returns in the tank so has 4 outlets. Tunze's or power heads for flow. sound good?

Last edited:

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
If I was buying pacific live rock I would likely half that and just buy big pieces (one or two per fish box). If you are getting gulf aquacultured you'll need that much.
And as you seem to have a pretty sturdy budget definitely try to get an autotopup. For a water container get an old salt bucket from your lfs.