125 Gal. Seio

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
Well, I'm by no means a SW expert, however in all my tanks (freshwater) I try to keep "Hardware" at a minimum (just hate the look of equipment in the tank) So, if it were me, and I could get 2 pieces that work as well as 3, then I'd go for the lesser amount.

However as Jim said, some corals may be more demanding of flow, to the point where you may have to add another unit down the road.

But again, I've read this in the stickies (I believe) enough flow is never enough, so go nuts, I'm running approx 800 gph in my tank and it's only 20g, I'm shooting for 1000ish we'll see.

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
to answer your question about your return pump, i doubt 300 gallon pump will be large enough unless you restrict your flow down to the sump, is the main tank drilled or are you using a over the back overflow?

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
Actually, in terms of functionality, it doesn't matter how many gph your return pump creates as long as it is not above the capacity of your overflow. If your pump moves 1gph then 1gph will overflow from the tank. If your pump moves 300gph then 300gph will overflow from the tank. The problem would be if your overflow can handle 500gph and your return pump moves 1000gph; then your tank will overflow.