125 Gallon and 225 Gallon Tanks.

May 29, 2006
Sussex, NJ
I need to stock 2 tanks and need some ideas. I was thinking something really colorful and not requiring extensive care. The 125 is mine and the 225 is my grandmas. I was looking for maybe a school of fish or a few single fish. Thanks for your input, Chuck.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Schools of fish would generally be tetras, rasboras, rainbowfish, danios, or the like. But, since it's such a big tank, you could do a really nice, big school of tiger barbs instead. I've never really seen a truly big group of tiger barbs in a huge tank, and it must look so different from 6-8 in a 29g tank. Then you could get a few bigger, semi-aggressive fish to go with them or cover the bottom. A 225g should be big enough for a couple of rainbow/red-tailed sharks, because it'd be big enough for multiple bottom territories. Or, a group of clown loaches since the tank is certainly big enough.

A big school of rainbowfish in that size tank would also look really cool, but that would be pretty expensive since a lot of them run around $10 or more per fish.

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
How about a large (12inches +) schooling fish? Well, they kinda school. The frontosa cichlid likes to be in colonies and such a large tank could easily fit many of the gentle giants.

At first they do seem to be rather expensive, but if you look around I'm sure you'll be able to find some at farily resonable price.

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
wow i'm so jealous you have two large tanks to play around with!!! :) :) :)
at your grandma's it would be great to have a planted tank with a huge school of a single species, that would be soothing.

for the one at your house, i'd do a few large fish, like SA cichlids or a birchir or even pirahnas if it's legal in your state.