15 day old tank and I got fish

BlueBaron

Small Fish
May 11, 2005
Today my Tank is 15 days old and I bought some fish 2 white cloud mountain minnows and 2 Zebra danio *celebrate

My nitrite was reading 0.5 ppm today a drop of 3.5 in 20 hours so I did a 25% water change and it dropped to barely showing about 0.1

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
PROBABLY close enough...but usually I would have given it another day to be sure your cycle was completely finished. Keep an eye on that nitrite level.

How big of a tank is it again? Danios really like to have a big group...

BlueBaron

Small Fish
May 11, 2005
Its 19 ltr tank.
The thing about waiting another day was i'm at work and couldn't get fish, so i would wait another week and all the bacteria might die as nothing to eat.

Last edited:

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
ohh thats right you were cycling with fish food I forgot. You know...I think you are probably the first person I've seen on MFT to go through a successful fishless cycle using something besides artificial ammonia out of a bottle! Congrats

So thats about a 5 (US Gallons) tank...those four fish will probably have you stocked well. You might think about adding an apple snail or some ghost shrimp and an otto sooner or later :) but not till your tank is a little more established and has some food for them to eat.

BlueBaron

Small Fish
May 11, 2005
There is one slight problem one of the minnows is leaning slightly to one side, is this swim bladder and if so what should I do?

I Was thinking of getting 1 more Zebra and 2 more Minnows.

And maybe some shimp to eat left over food and algae.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2004
New Orleans
Visit site
i wouldnt add anymore fish yet, and you are already pretty well stocked. wait a while to get the tank as stable as possible before adding anything else. some ghost shrimp would work because they have a small bio-load, but still wait to get those until your readings are 100% cycled.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Zebra Danios were an exellent choice for the cycling "finishing up", btw. They are hardy little buggers. And once you get everything running smoothly I agree, they like to be in a larger school. I currently have 5 zebra danios, three leopard danios and 6 pearl danios and they are all buddies...even tho they are not all the "same" they school together and are a great dither fish for the rest of the tank.
Good luck! Kudos for the patience in cycling your tank, it will be worth it :)

BlueBaron

Small Fish
May 11, 2005
Day 16 Ammonia 0 ppm Nitrite 0 ppm Nitrate 80 ppm (high) PH 7.8

I just feed my fish after 30 hours tryed pea to help with swim bladder but no fish looked at it once. Two peas sunk to bottom of tank, so I gave them goldfish flake. My minnow seems to be better once I put flake in :confused:
Oh well I hope he gets stays alright.

Thanks for everones help here in cycling my Tank. *thumbsups

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I'm pretty sure that high nitrate is due to cycling with the fish flakes...did you siphon the bottom and try to get as much out as possible? I'd do a big water change every other day until you get those nitrates under control...

Most tropical fish need something other than goldfish flakes...you might invest in some food that suits them a little more.

BlueBaron

Small Fish
May 11, 2005
I done 15% water change today (18th day) and nitrates still high 80 ppm.
I read somewere that plants remove nitrates and use it as fertilizer. All my plants are growing well fresh buds and roots but nitrates just keep going up ?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
do you have nitrates in your tap water? That could be throwing it off.

Are you following the direction on your test kit precisely? I know mine say to shake the solution for a minute...then add to the test tube and shake that for a minute...and I always get varying results even when I do tests right after each other.

Plants that are growing well and healthy will use nitrates, some plants more than others. I'm not a plant person though...so I better let someone else talk about that.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
well...there are a few options...I'm definitely not the expert on it. I would do a search here on mft for high nitrates or nitrate reducers. Also...just to be sure...you might want to take a sample of your tank water and a sample of your tap water to an lfs to have them tested...just to be sure your test kit is telling you correctly.