15 gallon freshwater

Aug 8, 2007
ORLANDO
www.myspace.com
hello,

this is my first post to myfishtank!

i had been cycling my 15 gallon freshwater tank for almost 7 weeks now.

everything is all cleared up.

i have 3 tetras and 3 platies.

looking at adding 2 guppies this weekend, rather than 3.

what do you guys think? would you do 2 or 3?

thanks,

jason

skratikans

Large Fish
Jul 19, 2007
clemson,sc
before you are thinking of adding more fish...check your ammonia and nitrite readings....this is CRUCIAL..if the tank really did finish cycling then they should all read ZERO...you cant tell just by seeing clear water all that means is that the debris has settled.. some tanks take 6weeks to cycle and some can take up to 6months

if your water perimeters are good then you can proceed to add a few more fish ...i would do 5 guppies or so..you could also do kuli loaches and get 3 or 5..they thrive in groups

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I would NOT do 5 guppies. Make sure you are familiar with livebearers breeding habits (guppy, platy, swordtails) before you go adding a ton of them. What kind of tetras do you have in there? You should probably add 2-3 more to that school to make it a group of 5-6, they are schooling fish.

Jul 21, 2006
uk northampton
hi, i have a 15 gallon and i have quite alot of fish in there as you can tell by my signature, as long as you do weekly water changes you should be fine with quite alot, (maybe i do have to many!) but make sure your tank HAS cycled because my dad thinking he knows it all cycled his tank for 5 weeks without checking his water, then plomped in some livebearers and most of them are dead.

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
i have to agree w/ missfishy. what kind of tetra do you have? chances are, you're going to watnt to bulk up the school of tetra to at least 5 as they will do much better in a bigger group than to just have 2 or 3. then maybe add a couple of smaller cories to have some bottom tank interest.

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
A school of a dozen tetras will look _much_ better than 2-3 fish of each species. Their behavior will be more normal (and therefore interesting), and they will have a stunning visual effect. I would even consider returning the platies, and focusing on a school of just one type of fish. You won't regret it.

Be sure to test your ammonia and nitrite levels, and make sure they both hit 0 before you add any more fish (and only add a couple at a time), but it sounds like you've got that part under control already.

~JW

Aug 18, 2007
i got a 16G as you can see in my sig and i decidied to get two big groups of just the neons and white clouds which makes them alot more interesting to watch and then got the corys and a kuhli loache so the bottom of the tank looked interesting