1g

jwddboy

Small Fish
Apr 9, 2006
Well a 1gal tank really isnt enough for many fish at all.
If you wanted to fill it totally it could just about take:

1 sunset wagtail platy
1 mickey mouse platy
3 neon tetras

But then all of them would be unhappy and you would probably not be able to plant it or have any gravel.

I suggest that you get 6 cardinals or neon tetras a little plant and a little bit of gravel. Make sure there is enough room for lights and a heater and a small airstone. A filter can be used but for 1gal it would just waste space. The best you can do is probably do 50% a water change every day.

Its not ideal for anything.

If possible try to get a bigger tank: 20gal minimum, they are so much easier for beginners. And also you wont be making the fish unhappy.

jwddboy

Small Fish
Apr 9, 2006
jade71301 said:
One pretty betta fish and maybe a snail
Snail yeh fine but Betta No! It is not fair on them to house them up in anything <20gal. Please Please Please do not get a betta. Im sure a lot of people would agree that putting a beta in such a small tank is going to make its life a totally misery.

1 sunset wagtail platy
1 mickey mouse platy
3 neon tetras

But then all of them would be unhappy and you would probably not be able to plant it or have any gravel.

I suggest that you get 6 cardinals or neon tetras a little plant and a little bit of gravel. Make sure there is enough room for lights and a heater and a small airstone. A filter can be used but for 1gal it would just waste space. The best you can do is probably do 50% a water change every day.

Are you serious??? Either of those fish would be too large for a 1gal, let alone six! six cardinals would be the limit for a 10.

Seriously though, you are extremely limited with only one gallon. A snail would produce much too much waste, and is unacceptable. A betta could work, but I wouldn't do it. I DEFINATELY wouldn't do a betta and a snail.

A single or two neon tetras would work, but they're delicate and water conditions would be hard to control.

Personally, the only thing I could think of would be an African Dwarf Frog, or one or two ghost/amano shrimp and a plant.

Of course, if you're really good you may be able to make other things work... Lordroad has a mini reef in a 1 gal vase.

Last edited:

jwddboy

Small Fish
Apr 9, 2006
i have seen 6 neons in a 1 gallon before doing perfectly fine on quite a few occasions. Ok its way overstocked but as long as the water conditions are kept good it is fine.

As for the other fish i mentioned... i hav seen a 1gal with them in and it made me horrified, still they looked ok but again the water conditions were being kept pristine.

Remeber its ok to overstock if you know exactly what you are doing. If not 1" of fish per gallon. So thats 1 cardinal or 1 tetra. But seeing as they only go around in shoals thts not very nice.

Shrimp are ok... slightly dull

Apr 9, 2006
jwddboy said:
Snail yeh fine but Betta No! It is not fair on them to house them up in anything <20gal. Please Please Please do not get a betta. Im sure a lot of people would agree that putting a beta in such a small tank is going to make its life a totally misery.
why r bettas in cups at the store tthen. And I dont realy know alot about fish so no making fun of me*SUPERSMIL

S-kate

Large Fish
Oct 21, 2005
Ithaca, NY
20 gallons is a little rediculous for a betta. My betta is perfectly happy in a 2.5 gallon and i think a 1 gallon would also be fine for a betta. They are hardy fish and aren't all that active.

jwddboy

Small Fish
Apr 9, 2006
lol. yup and also they have no basic morals in those stores! if they die 7 seconds after you buy them... they dont care. If they are stunted and deformed... they dont care. All they want is your money.

Think of it like this:
How would you like to be shut in a closet and have to sleep, eat, breathe, go to the bathroom and generally live in there.

Not such a nice thought is it...

Smalltank3

Large Fish
Dec 23, 2005
Wisconsin
I would go with bigredspecial's idea of picking 1 or 2 of a small schooling fish. Just look at small schooling fish, pick your favorite one, and get 1 or 2 of them. Like the others said, that is a really small tank.

Bigredspecial: a 1g mini reef! I have to talk to lordroad about that!

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
why r bettas in cups at the store tthen.
bettas are natrually found in anoxic conditions, hense why they can breath atmospheric oxygen. bettas are in teh cups because petshops can cram a lot of cups on a shelf. just becasue a fish *can* survive in a cup (for a little while), doesn't mean that it is ideal, or right for it to live in a cup long term. i'd prefer to put a betta in a 2.5G +. personally, i'd return the 1g and get something bigger since you're so limited to what you can stock in it.

pigs_fly

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2006
Texas
id say a betta, an african dwarf frog (make sure its not an african clawed frog), or a few shrimp - which i might add, I think, are pretty fun little guys. Theyll swim around and their little feet are going about a mile a minute - pretty hilarious.

On the betta note, I'd agree that a min of 20gal is a little extreme. In bettas' native environment, they arent in much water at all, as they flop from "puddle" to "puddle" in the rice fields and such. So, in my opinion a 1gallon is OK, not great but OK, although, a 1.5-2.5 is definitely better. My betta is in a 1.5 and he is as happy as can be, making bubble nests and playing in his plants. So, a 1gal would be OK for a betta.

jade71301

Large Fish
Jan 26, 2006
Quebec, Canada
You might think I am cruel, but I have 2 betta fish tanks running that are 1/2 us gal, and they are so happy and keep bubbling at me all the time. As long as you keep the water clean and have a tree and maybe a small cave, a betta will be fine in a 1 gal. However it is better to have them in a bigger tank 2 or more gal. They are really cute and beautiful fish with lots of personality. Good Luck