1st week of cycly

di0nysus

Large Fish
Sep 9, 2007
sunnyside of california
ive been cycling for about a week now and have been adding biozyme everyday since. i put my betta in the tank about 4 days into it to help boost the cycle in my 29g tank. i just checked the readings in the water and it went
amonia-0
nitrite-0
nitrate-0
my ph was high but i just added a big chunk of driftwood to buffer that out. my question is, is that too quick of a cycle? cuz i thought it took at least 2 weeks.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I agree. Cycling means that you've added a source of ammonia to the tank so that the ammonia will spike, then the nitrite will spike and then you'll start getting nitrates. If you want to read up on it some more there are some stickies at the top of the beginner forum to help you out.

In a 29 with just a betta...I'm going to guess that its going to take forever to cycle. I would either take the betta out and put him in something else for awhile while you cycle the tank fishlessly, or get some more fish in there. What are your plans for stocking the tank?

No matter what you do I'd just keep checking those levels every few days to see if you see any movement in those numbers.