2.5gal Fairly new! Getting cloudy!

Jan 20, 2005
Missouri
Visit site
I set up my 2.5 here @ work on 2/7/05 (a tad over a month ago). The water is starting to get pretty cloudy (yellowish). I performed a 40% water change exactly a week ago (3/8/05). It looks like I'm getting some brown algae build up. Isn't an aquarium supposed to "bloom" about a month or so after being set up? What I understand "bloom" to be is a sudden bacteria and/or algae growth....ah! well, I JUST found this site:http://www.drhelm.com/aquarium/cloudy%20water.html & I think it just answered my question! I am using one of those UGF active carbon filter thingies! Guess I'll change it & hope it does the trick! :p

Jan 20, 2005
Missouri
Visit site
It got a bit better with a water change last week but has gotten really cloudy again! It looks like the leaves of the plant are getting coated with a brown residue. Does this still sound like a bloom? The bloom in my 10 gal @ home was more of a whitish cloud. This is my aquarium @ work & all of my employees & applicants are like "YUCK!!!"

I've added two doses of ACCU-CLEAR since yesterday.

Should I just give it time?

Would more frequent water changes help? Also, along the same lines, when are water changes TOO FREQUENT???

dss2004

Large Fish
Oct 1, 2004
Frisco, Texas
www.freewebs.com
Do you have any kind of filter or circulation? If not then the tank is probably never going to be as aesthetically pleasing as you want. With water movement and a filter to collect debris stuff will accumulate in that little space pretty fast.

lmosness

Small Fish
Mar 23, 2005
Moberly, MO
Does your office leave the lights on in the night? Maybe just too much exposure for your filter to keep up with. Plus, I don't know if shrimp actually clean up algae .... I think just junk off the bottom. Anyone think a really small pleco would overload things? I've just found that some pet stores have a trade in option for when your pleco gets too big.