2 ill bettas???

izabeau

Medium Fish
Mar 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Ok I need help...again....I have 2 betta's, 1 male, 1 female, both in their own tanks, not heated, the temp is around 76-78F, ammo., nitrate, nitrite all 0.0, ph about 7.8 (just the water in my area) both eating & swimming healthy except...the male tail fin has no fungus, but is disintigrating bit by bit, I have been treating him for fin/tail rot for about a month now and it's not getting better??? I have used betta fix, melafix, maracide, maroxy...I have tried everything, could it be that he is fine, just old and that's what happens when they get old??
2) My female I noticed last night in the community tank, looks like her upper lip (so to speak) is also disintegrating, part of it is missing?? there appears to be white "skin" but no fungus that I can see, except a small part scale hanging off to the side, she's not bleeding, but I'm still worried, I took her out of the 20 gal community tank & put her in my hospital tank and have bettafix going with a fungus cure just in case...anybody have any idea what's going on with my bettas??? they are both eating & swimming just fine??? I don't get it.

Mar 11, 2003
Try Fungus Eliminator (made by Jungle) on both of them. It sounds like your male has a stubborn case of fin/tail rot, and your female has mouth fungus. Don't switched medicines, just keep treating until it is gone, following the instructions on the bottle.

Alexa

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
I agree, Jungle Fungus Eliminator seems to work well on bettas. It includes some anti-biotic also.

Remember to remove any carbon filters when treating a tank with medicines - carbon will remove it.

izabeau

Medium Fish
Mar 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Thanks Guys I'll try that. I have removed the filter in the male tank, but the female tank doesn't have a filter, just a "bubbler" to keep the water circulating. I'm just frustrated cuz it seems to be taking forever for my male to get better. I'll try the Jungle fungus eliminator on both of them and see if that finally works!! I'll keep you posted.

izabeau

Medium Fish
Mar 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Hi Mcshell,
If you go on to the petsmart website, select fish & then scroll down the list on the left hand side to medications, click that & the 5th medication down on the list will be the jungle fungus eliminator for aquariums, not ponds. Hope this helps. I don't know about the Guard Liq., I have never tried the Jungle products myself.

mcshell

Large Fish
Jul 23, 2003
Vancouver BC Canada
Visit site
thanks for your advice. i do have melafix (which is almost like bettamax)... but i'm not sure if that would help to cure fungus affection... does anyone know if that can cure fry too?

I already try to do water change more frequently... anything else I could do to prevent my fry from fungus attack?