2 issues with new tank (sump noises + bubbles in display)

statman

Medium Fish
Nov 3, 2004
iowa
Visit site
I just got everything up and running in my tank and I have a few issues. My return pump is shooting in massive bubbles. Im not sure if its because I just have it coming straight down out of the pvc or something else. I noticed in pics that most tanks seem to have a black cone shaped thing on their returns, which im not sure exactly what it does.

Secondly, I also have some really loud noises. I cant pinpoint them but i think its coming from where the pvc on the overflows dumps into the sump. It seems to sort of spurt out, making a loud noise with each spurt. I have a thread in they diy section about this but i figured i might as well include it here too, incase someone with the knowledge doesnt frequent there.

Ive included a link to a quick video I just made, it shows the bubbles and it may also have the noisey sound. (im not sure because im near the tank so I cant tell if its on the vid or not)

YouTube - bubbles in the aquarium

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I have the same issues with the noises. What type of overflow do you have? The saltwater is draining quick enough. You don't want the drain line straight but more of a slope into the sump. Making sure the tube is slanted.

You will get bubbles in the sump from the drain. Do you have any baffles in the sump or a sponge on the return pump?

statman

Medium Fish
Nov 3, 2004
iowa
Visit site
sump is 55 gallon, ebay kit (the baffles), has a octopus skimmer, mag drive 1200gph pump and 2 600gph overflows. ill post pics later.

i tried to get some pics but with the design of the stand its impossible. when i open the front doors i can get good pics of the refugium area, but i cant get any good angle to get shots of the skimmer or return section.

Last edited:

statman

Medium Fish
Nov 3, 2004
iowa
Visit site
i guess so, i installed them just like the pictures on line showed them. i have bubbles in the skimmer chamber, but no apparant bubbles in the fuge or pump section. atleast nothing obvious