2 males have killed 2 females? (guppies)

Oct 2, 2013
:confused: I just bought 2 guppies two weeks ago, 2 male and one female. A few days ago I found my female dead. I didn't think much of it and got a new female. I notied one of the males doing his little sexy dance for the female yesterday but today I found her dead too. What's going on? :(

Feb 27, 2009
Sorry for your losses.

Livebearers like guppies should be kept in ratios that the females outnumber the males. Something like 3F to 1M is usually good. Otherwise, the males will harass the female(s) relentlessly.

Has your tank completed the nitrogen cycle? How long has it been established? What size is it? Any other tankmates? What are your current readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Oct 2, 2013
:( oh I wasn't aware. What's a nitrogen cycle? It's been set up for about two weeks, its a 10 gallon, I have a snail in there, and I dont know what the chemical readings are but I use AQUEON water conditioner.. should I buy 6 females? or get rid of a male and get 3 females. I don't think 10 gallons is enough for 8 guppies..or is it?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
10 gals is enough for quite a few guppies i think...but i may be wrong.
definitely get much more females than males. likely the females died of stress from males bumping them an from a new tank setup.
read online about cycling a fish tank. VERY important!

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Welcome to the forum. One of the things you will need to cycle your tank is a liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Newman is right - there is a lot on line to read about cycling, but the purpose is to get the beneficial bacteria growing and dealing with the ammonia and nitrites. Your goal is to have zero ammonia and nitrites and about 20 - 30ppm of nitrates. This process is what the nitrogen cycle is all about.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
:( oh I wasn't aware. What's a nitrogen cycle? It's been set up for about two weeks, its a 10 gallon, I have a snail in there, and I dont know what the chemical readings are but I use AQUEON water conditioner.. should I buy 6 females? or get rid of a male and get 3 females. I don't think 10 gallons is enough for 8 guppies..or is it?
Don't mean to shout.. but, NOOOOOOOOO! Don't add anymore fish!!

Please don't feel too bad, because many of us started out this way too. The first thing you need to do is what OC suggested. Establish a nitrogen cycle in your tank. This basically means growing a beneficial bacteria colony in/on your gravel, decor and filter. This BB helps process the fish waste so it won't poison and kill your fish. Most likely your fish deaths have been caused by high ammonia levels in your tank.

Read up on aquarium cycling, get yourself a liquid water parameter test kit and do regular water changes on your 10g until your cycle is complete. I'd keep a two or three guppies in your tank (all females or all males so you don't get a zillion babies) and do ~50% water changes a few times a week or when your water testing prompts it.

Guanchy

Medium Fish
Jul 17, 2013
New York
Welcome to the forum!, i just recently finished cycling my tank! after killing a bunch of fish because my water was really bad! so please read about cycling your tank before you buy anymore fish!

follow the advices that everyone is giving you here and u will be fine :)

Guanchy

Medium Fish
Jul 17, 2013
New York
something that helped my cycle a lot was getting stablished media from another fish tank that has been running for a while, so go to your Local Fish Store (not petco or petsmart) and actual aquarium store and ask them if they can sell u some stablished media.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Yep, especially if you don't have a means to measure the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels.

Bostonx- Keep in mind, you can drain the water right down to where the fish can barely swim, replace it with fresh, dechlorinated water and your fish will love you for it.

The most important thing is clean water, not food, fancy heaters, etc...