2 mysteries in my tank!

Dec 8, 2009
I bought a 20 Gallon from my friend, and she gave me the two fish she had, with it. She couldn't remember the identity of them, and i've searched online for them, but can not find them. I even went to a couple of local pet stores, like petvalue and petsmart, to see if they might have some so i could at least know what in the world they are. :confused:

My camera does not take very nice pictures of moving subject, so, i am going to try my BEST to get a good enough picture to post. I'm more of a betta and mollie person, but the two i can't identify, are ok...just it's driving me crazy not knowing what they are, and what other fish can go in the tank with them (or not at all!). The last thing i want to do is put something else in there and they attack it/eat it/annoy it until it dies.

so, any help would be great.

Here is a description for the time being.

1. They are orange
2. Their top fins are orange with a black rim
3. They are kinda on the flat side (not really any width to them)
4. On the bottom fins, they also have a black rim.
5. I find them to be fast swimmers, who like to chase each other and play.
6. I also find them to not be very pretty....(kinda homely looking from my point of view)

Yes, i know i could probably be describing an array of fish, but like i said, i will post a picture if i can manage to get a good one somehow.:D

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
i wanna say its a serpae tetra...not 100% sure yet. either way if you wanna keep thos ehappy get them some buddies (try to get ones of similar size) so you have at least around 5-7 in that 20 gal.

Dec 8, 2009
A big Thank You! Yes, these are the mysteries in my tank. The link to the pictures you gave me were great. Finally I have a name for the little guys (or gals) I havent a clue if they are male or female or one of each...lol...I guess i have to do a little research now that i know what they are. Again, many thanks. (and yes, i will get them some buddies, from what i read thanks to link, they do better with some friends)

Doomhed

Large Fish
Feb 11, 2003
Rhode Island
Visit site
I would go get some more serpae or golden tetras so they have friends. I prefer keeping the more aggressive tetras in schools of 5-7 minimum. One of the coolest tanks I ever saw was a planted 300gal with 40+ serpaes, 20+ panda cories, 20+ spotted cories, and over 75 platies of various colors and combinations.

Doomhed

Large Fish
Feb 11, 2003
Rhode Island
Visit site
LOL!
if i was that customer, i'd tank the tank with everythin included :p
just wish i could see this thing. anyway you can get a pic of it?
this was at least 6 years ago, I would assume that it has since been picked up. the tank cost over 10 grand and the dude paid 6 up front. I believe the fish were eventually delivered for the tank though.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
wow that tank cost as much as 15 Zebra pleco are goin for these days =/
6 years ago? guess i missed my chance at seeing its greatness, because it really sounded cool.

lludu

Large Fish
Oct 17, 2009
Frederick, MD
I would go get some more serpae or golden tetras so they have friends. I prefer keeping the more aggressive tetras in schools of 5-7 minimum. One of the coolest tanks I ever saw was a planted 300gal with 40+ serpaes, 20+ panda cories, 20+ spotted cories, and over 75 platies of various colors and combinations.
And the verdict is in: Overstock! lol

(picked tail spot because he doesnt have spotted ones lol)

Doomhed

Large Fish
Feb 11, 2003
Rhode Island
Visit site
I think if it had good filtration it would be fine, 300g is massive and most of those fish school so IMO they would be fine. Espescilly if it was well planted and really well set-up, and I'm guessing it was.
oh god, was it amazing. it was aquascaped long ways, with the flow from the rear filters leading over broken terra cotta to " break" the current flow from twin 6 wheel penguin biowheel filters, not to mention the bubble sheets in the rear corners and the quad canisters on bottom. On a 2-piece marble stand.

It was also done with live plants, hogwart, java fern, java moss, and amazon swords.

oh, did I mention the 20-odd ghost shrimp, 2 dozen otto-cats, a handful of apple snails and 1 confused 4 inch African cichlid ("he didn't get along with the other cichlids, so we threw him in here. there are too many things going on for him to be able to focus his aggression on any one fish, so he just plays in the bubbles and chases everything away from his little hollow log in the corner there")?