2 questions actually..ya'll are so great, I need your help!

sassie

Small Fish
Sep 5, 2006
Okay...My daughter has a 10 gallon tank, as I do..well it is technically my 6 yr old's (son's) tank. So, I have 2 dalmation Mollies..one male one female..the girl is prego! I think a lot of you know this already! She's going to give birth anyday now..her anal part is /has a small opening, she is hiding in the tank..and she had quite the fight with the male last night, so that his fin on the top of his body raised all the way up..it was actually quite lovely to look at!
I'm waiting for her!

Okay..I have 2 other mollies..I thought they were guppies..one has a white belly..the other has a bigger belly than normal and it's black. btw, I CAN now see the black in the white belly..so those must be the babies?!??

My question is: The only male fish is a Dalmation Molly....would he mate with JUST the other dalmation female..or with any other female molly?

the other question I have is about Tetras...my daughter has 3 of them...2 are exactly the same..except one is male (the lfs sucs at sexing these fish!!lol) do Tetras mate no matter what when a male and female are put together?
Or is it possible, they will not ever have little ones?
Also, are they live bearers?
If not...what are they..egg layers (obviously then!) how long is their gestation period..and how do they birth???

There is another Tetra in the tank, female..but she looks different. I don't know exactly what she is called...I'll try to catch these fish on camera....but that may be hard for me!
Will the male Tetra mate with a female Tetra that looks nothing like him?

Sorry, that was a 2 part question...I'm like overwhelming ya'll with questions!!!
I'm so curious about these fish..all of them!
I think they are all fasinating!
Best money I ever spent..seriously, I love watching them...I never thought I'd like to have fish either!!!:) :) :)

Any feedback would be very appreciated!

Thank you Kindly,
Sassie *GOLDFISH* *PEACE!*

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Your mollies will breed with each other no matter their coloring.

Do you know what type of tetra they are? Tetras are egg layers or egg scatterers, and its usually pretty hard to 'accidentally' breed a tetra. Some are easier to breed than others, but usually you need to do some research and work on your water conditions and make sure that you have somewhere that is attractive to them to lay their eggs. I dont think I've ever heard of tetras cross breeding with other tetras?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Any male molly will mate with any female molly. It doesn't depend on the type of molly. Also, female mollies can store sperm for several "batches" of fry, so even mating once can give you several months worth of babies.

The Livebearers FAQ at the top of the livebearers forum has lots of general info about livebearer breeding and sexing.

Tetras are egglayers, and they basically won't breed in a tank unless you set it up for them, and remove the fish once they have laid eggs. Some tetras are extremely hard to breed in home aquaria. Different types of tetra will not interbreed, generally.