2 tiger barbs Missing

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
Today i checked and 2 of my 7 tiger barbs are missing. Now i only have 5. I dont know who eat them. But they are missing they just vanished! Did anyone have the same problem. A few days back my zebra danios went missing now the tiger barbs. Tiger barbs dont go with cichlids? The guy a petco told me that they can live together. It is either my red zebra or the bumble bee's. Can this be true?*thumbsdow

Last edited:

Jennifer

Large Fish
May 11, 2006
Guelph, ON
Hmm, I don't keep cichlids but I would bet they ate your other fish. From what I understood, cichlids should only be kept with other semi-agressive fish or fish that can't fit in their mouths.

Although there are exceptions..I used to have cockatoo dwarf cichlids they were community fish and didn't touch any of my fish...even the neons.

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
well the red zebra is about 3" and he is the biggest. the bumble bees are 2.5" thats it. As for the convicts the mom and dad convicts are about 3" but they have been divided from the rest. The other 2 convicts are about 2". I dont think not big enough to swallow the barbs.

amd

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2006
north carolina asheville area
CONVICTS!!! GAAA RUUUNN TEEEEDDD! those little bastards are "convicts" for a reasonf, kinda like little velocia raptors, cute and sweet as babys, then one day they tear you apart as you clean their tank(mine tried all the time lol)

GIS Guy

Superstar Fish
Feb 18, 2004
East-Central Illinois
Visit site
My guess is convicts.

But I had the _exact_ same thing happen to me once. I had a barb tank of tigers, albinos, greens, and cherries. My tiger barbs dissappeared without a trace. Either the maintenance person was netting them out and stealing them or the pleco was eating the bodies.

calikas

Medium Fish
Mar 25, 2006
holy cow the same thing happened to me

ive lost 2 tigers in the last 2 days.i caught the other tigers eating a dead one yesterday when i was cleaning the tank.ive also got a red zebra.but i think it was probably my johanni.hes the a__ hole of my tank.ive never noticed anyone particurily messing with the barbs though except for the other barbs.so im lost i got two left i hope they last.there part of my original 6 .WE HAVE A BARB KILLER AMONG US

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
calikas said:
ive lost 2 tigers in the last 2 days.i caught the other tigers eating a dead one yesterday when i was cleaning the tank.ive also got a red zebra.but i think it was probably my johanni.hes the a__ hole of my tank.ive never noticed anyone particurily messing with the barbs though except for the other barbs.so im lost i got two left i hope they last.there part of my original 6 .WE HAVE A BARB KILLER AMONG US

At least you found your dead tiger. I did not even find that. nothing they just vanished!

romeoharvey

Medium Fish
Jun 20, 2005
Southeastern Michigan
Maybe the fish and bacteria in your tank did away with the bodies. I once found a "lost" fish in a 10 gallon I had long ago, it was just an outline, but I recognized it as an albino catfish.
Is there any chance they could have jumped?

I'd remove the remainder of the barbs, cause if the other two were killed by a cichlid, there's a chance you won't have any left. Are there still any danios? I once had a an oscar that ate my danios.

*Also, this page would suggest that barbs and cichlids are not compatible:
Freshwater & Brackish Compatibility Chart

Convicts originate in central america, while the barbs originate in southern asia. Since these fish aren't mixed in nature, I think it's advisable not to mix them in a tank.
-68 to 73 degrees F is needed by convicts and fish of that like, while your tiget barbs need 74 to 79 degrees F. I believe their ph levels also differ.

-Because these fish evolved in such differant places, light, food and water movement is most likely also an issue. Having them share the same tank would be like you having to share an apartment with someone from Indonesia, it may be okay for a while, but you know you can't live with the person forever. You have differant wants and needs, in an enviornment where you thrive, could kill your room mate.

Hope that wasn't too boring for you, and good luck on keeping all your fish.

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
Thanks for the adivce. I learn new things everyday. dont worry the danios are out. As for the barbs they are still in the 55 gallon but have been seperated from the cichlids. Their is not chance they could have jumed because the tank is covered. well soon i will be changing my play sand to carib sea white moonlight sand. Then I will find out what happened to them. My poor babies! Thanks for the reply again was very helpfull.

tweetie2

Small Fish
Jul 27, 2006
Pleco missing in action!!!!

:confused: This is really weird my son bought me a baby plec on Saturday and this morning I was looking for him and can't find him anywhere, I turned my tank upside down and not a trace. My current fish are a Large Plec, 2 bala's, 2 tigers, Chocolate cat, 2 striped cats and mollies. Who did it. I'm so upset I just lost my other plec know this one:(

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
tweetie2 said:
:confused: This is really weird my son bought me a baby plec on Saturday and this morning I was looking for him and can't find him anywhere, I turned my tank upside down and not a trace. My current fish are a Large Plec, 2 bala's, 2 tigers, Chocolate cat, 2 striped cats and mollies. Who did it. I'm so upset I just lost my other plec know this one:(
What size tank is this? Plecs can hide in the most amazing places -- that said, the odds were probably against him.

tweetie2

Small Fish
Jul 27, 2006
Seleya said:
What size tank is this? Plecs can hide in the most amazing places -- that said, the odds were probably against him.
I have a 75g. Why where the odds against him? Which type of my fish could have done it? I really did move everything around in my tank he's definitely not there:( I don't know how many more loses I can take. Is it normal to get this attached.

Jennifer

Large Fish
May 11, 2006
Guelph, ON
Seleya said:

I agree, when i first put my baby rubberlip in I couldn't find him for days, I thought he died. He was scared being in a new tank but after a while he became more comfortable and showed up. I was so worried and looked for him for HOURS! So maybe give it a day or too.....although I guess it's possible he died/was eaten. Its hard to tell if you have no body.

Jennifer

Large Fish
May 11, 2006
Guelph, ON
tweetie2 said:
I have a 75g. Why where the odds against him? Which type of my fish could have done it? I really did move everything around in my tank he's definitely not there:( I don't know how many more loses I can take. Is it normal to get this attached.
I missed this post.....a 75G is a big tank for a small plec to get lost in. I have a 30G and I still lost my plec, still do sometimes. Despite carefully taking EVERTHING out of my tank and inspecting it, he still managed to hide, god knows where. Doesn't seem like any of your other fish would eat the plec, unless he died on his own.

When I started my first fish tank I was absolutely devastated when I lost a fish... I would cry and the rest of my day would suck. I don't think its abnormal to become attached to fish/pets...realy depends on personality. I, for example, am a real sensitive person who loves any living thing, even bugs. However, I did suffer through a fish "masacre" (all my fish died from disease) and now I don't get as upset if a fish dies...now I accept death and give them a nice burial ;)

tweetie2

Small Fish
Jul 27, 2006
Jennifer said:
I missed this post.....a 75G is a big tank for a small plec to get lost in. I have a 30G and I still lost my plec, still do sometimes. Despite carefully taking EVERTHING out of my tank and inspecting it, he still managed to hide, god knows where. Doesn't seem like any of your other fish would eat the plec, unless he died on his own.

When I started my first fish tank I was absolutely devastated when I lost a fish... I would cry and the rest of my day would suck. I don't think its abnormal to become attached to fish/pets...realy depends on personality. I, for example, am a real sensitive person who loves any living thing, even bugs. However, I did suffer through a fish "masacre" (all my fish died from disease) and now I don't get as upset if a fish dies...now I accept death and give them a nice burial ;)
Thanks for all your advice, I keep checking my tank in hopes to find him. I'm trying to deal w/all these fish when they die or get a disease, but man it's hard. My husband thinks I'm nuts. If I find him I be sure to let everyone know. Thanks again.*PEACE!*

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Panther28 said:
Today i checked and 2 of my 7 tiger barbs are missing. Now i only have 5. I dont know who eat them. But they are missing they just vanished! Did anyone have the same problem. A few days back my zebra danios went missing now the tiger barbs. Tiger barbs dont go with cichlids? The guy a petco told me that they can live together. It is either my red zebra or the bumble bee's. Can this be true?*thumbsdow
Well your first problem is the fact that you have African Cichlids with SA Cichlids. The second problem is that you are trying to keep Tiger Barbs in that tank. And the third problem is that you have breeding pairs of Convicts in with other fish. Convicts are NASTY when paired up. Africans dont tend to tolerate others too well, one reason they say to have many Africans in a tank and to have a larger tank. You really need to do some reasearch on your fish and start over with your stocking.