20g needing some ideas

pondnewbe

Small Fish
May 31, 2006
well i have some gold fish in a 20 g there moving back out to the pond in the early spring probably so im looking for ideas of what to do with the new open space. my dad likes tetras but im not sure if thats just cause thats all he knows or not
but i figure smaller and more fish would be more there type something like a school of neons or maybe some cardinals and maybe some more tetras or something maybe a little bit bigger fish kind of showy that would get along in the community. i'm not the one that would be doing most of the cleaning and upkeep i think they would rather have something that they done have to put a whole lot of work into it will probably be planted but it doesn't have to be. any ideas would be great i look froward to seeing new ideas for this tank thanks guys and girls for all your help

EDIT:
like 12*24*15 i think its a 20 that was kind of just a guess

Last edited:

pondnewbe

Small Fish
May 31, 2006
well i would but i was kind of looking for ideas around here

big54bob said:
ok u got all winter to decide so look at lfs for ideas then ask them

hey man i kind of have an idea but i was wondering how the tetras would be and what kind of other fish go nicely with tetras around here the only fish stores are like petco and those kids prob have never had a fish them selves or know anymore than the little price tag say about them

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Do you have a heater in the tank? If not, you will need to get one to keep tropicals.

There are many different kinds of tetras available, and they're popular fish. A tank with tetras and a gourami would work. Other things you could think about are livebearers (platies, guppies, swordtails) or rasboras, perhaps.

pondnewbe

Small Fish
May 31, 2006
well i guess u should go back to not paying attention i don't mean to be rude but seriously i'm sure there are books for everybody else's questions but this is a lot faster and kind of what this site is for so if you don't mind going back to doing what your avatar says then i would greatly appreciate it thanks for your time and concern

pondnewbe

Small Fish
May 31, 2006
hmm well ill keep my eye out for what kinds of gourmis the lfs here keeps stocked would it be better to start with the tetras or the gourmi or should i put them all in there together i hope the lfs has some cardinals but if not neons sound good or maybe even black neons ill see what i can find. i do have some time before i can buy them but this sounds like a good start thanks for the help.

pondnewbe

Small Fish
May 31, 2006
are barbs really schooling fish and would they be fie with the gourmis? or are you saying only barbs ? i kind of liked the idea of having a gourmi to change it up a little but i like how the barbs look. i guess i would really leave it up to my parents because they are the ones that would really be doing most of the keeping them sense im in college out of town and not home all the time.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
If you preferred cooler water, rosy barbs are very pretty and appreciate lower temps. Also, white clouds, danios, and some other species of barb and rasbora. For the bottom, some loaches, such as dojos.

As has been suggested before, it is best to go look around, check out the rate my tank section on this forum, the fish stores and books to see what appeals to you. Giving us something to go on with your own interests in mind is actually easier in many ways. Everyone has their own tastes.

I had one tank I loved with Australian desert gobies and marble/golddust mollies, Grey Coast calcite as substrate with matching lava rocks, driftwood and java moss and java fern -- very simple, very active, very pretty. Another smaller tank I've enjoyed had just Endlers and carambella (dwarf) crayfish, natural stone and loads of driftwood and plants. My koi angels with rummynoses, hatchets (imo, a very underrated fish!), metae cories, Bolivian rams (another very underestimated fish), and a bristlenose have always received good reviews from visitors. And then there are my goldie tanks..... :)

Some tanks are cool for what you do with them, some because of what is in them and to heck with spiffies. Have fun shopping around, you have plenty of time to fine tune it with our help. ;)