20gal Planted tank

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Need some ideas, I have decided to plant my 20gal tank. Any ideas on good beginner plants and proper fertalization would be appreciated. The fish that will be in the tank will be a 4 mollies and 3 platy's as of right now. Maybe add a gourami or 2 in the future

Last edited:

iapetus

Large Fish
Jan 15, 2008
34:09:39N, 118:08:19W
I'm planning to set up a 29G planted tank. I'm just going about it slowly.

Have you decided what kind of substrate you'd like to use? I'm going with Eco-Complete topped by black gravel.

Do you know what type of wattage you'll be using in your bulbs? I'm looking at using at least a 55W, but probably not more than a 65W, bulb on mine. This will determine what plants can thrive in your tank.

Will you be pumping in CO2? How complex a system do you wish it to be?

Are you going to raise fry? If so, think about getting plants among which the fry can hide.

Lots to think about here! ;)

PS - I think you'll be pretty stocked with your platies and mollies. I would think twice about adding any gouramis.

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
well good beginner plants include java ferns, anubias species, java moss, rotala indica, bacopa caroliniana, and vals, among many others. However I am a beginner myself, and have had varying success with those plants (having trouble with my vals and bacopa, but the rest are thriving).

A good start up fert is Seachem's Flourish comprehensive to make sure they get the minerals they need. These plants don't really need much in the ways of ferts, but flourish should keep them going :).

Wait for a few other posts too by the way- everyone has had different experiences and likes/dislikes and expertise.

cchase85

Large Fish
Jun 6, 2006
New England
Between Eco and Flourite, I would go with Eco as I like the variety in gravel size as well as the fact that it won't cloud your water up when you put it in, even without rinsing.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Well I decided to go with flourite, I couldnt find Eco. On thursday night I removed the fish from the tank and rinsed the flourite. I proceded to dump it into the tank, well appearantly i didnt rinse t good enough because the water turned brown. Well I waited a couple hours like the bag said and it still wasnt clear, I figurd it would be clear friday morning after everything settled-NOPE, Friday night came home from work and still couldnt see thru the tank, so I almost completely drained it and removed the flourite and rinsed some more. well this worked and now the tank is clear, I added plants last night.
Question-some of the plants that I bought have no roots yet should I plant the stems or tie them close to the subsrate? I have read to do it ether way but i read on a site today that planting the stems will cause them to rot

Oct 27, 2007
Maine
I've discovered that keeping plants is as much fun as keeping fish! I used a substrate of Flourite (well rinsed) and sand, then a small amount of gravel around the plants to keep them in place. Thena few larger pebbles to finish them off. This stops the fish from pulling them out. Too bad about the brown water, but sounds like you figured it out.

My plants are flourishing with a Flora bulb. I feed them once a week with a liquid supplement. I don't use extra co2, but I have soft acidic water which apparently the plants like.

I have two varieties of echinodorus, both are growing leaves at about 2-3 a week. Amazon swords do very well too. I have three other new plants that have started to grow new leaves. The fish love all the places to hide.

I'd say don't be afraid to experiment. If you find a plant that your fish like to eat, then don't buy it again. My angels used to eat some of my plants, but they don't eat any of the current ones.

Good luck.