20L lighting help

bubby317

Small Fish
Mar 13, 2011
I'm concerned about lighting for my 20L FOWLR. How much light do I need in a FOWLR? What's the cheapest lighting solution for me? I'm not afraid of DIY projects, but I'd rather not have to order things online. I'd rather be able to pick it up at a lowes or something like that. Can I work some blue (actinic...sp?) lighting in there, makes everything look beautiful.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
If it's only FOWLR, then lighting isn't that important. If you later upgrade to a reef, then you'll need to start seriously looking into it.

Personally, I'd just go for a standard fluorescent tank fixture for a tank like that, and maybe put in an actinic or saltwater bulb.

While DIY can be OK, it can also be scary, especially with the salt creep. I wouldn't advise a general (house) fixture unless it's mounted far away from the water.

Others may have some good ideas...

bubby317

Small Fish
Mar 13, 2011
What is the cheapest way to go? I know I'm not supposed to be a tightwad in this hobby but if I'm not keeping corals, what's the point:p I really do like the way actinic adds the depth in a tank. Where can I get all this stuff? Is there any pros/cons to having only white light? Only actinic light?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Most fish stores/chain pet stores sell actinic fluorescent bulbs. If you have a standard fixture, it fits straight in.

The main reason to buy a fixture made for a tank is the water resistance. It's certainly no fun to find your light fixture either making crackling noises or having flames come out of it.

Petsmart or other fish stores sell the Perfecto fixtures for about $40, I think.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
Just pick up a few 50/50 bulbs from your LFS (or online) No need to get a new fixture if its FOWLR... If you decide to go reef down the line, youll want to look into T5

Mar 20, 2011
the cheapest way is to go to homedepo they ave t-5 lights for around 30bucks then just upgrade the bulbs total be around 70bucks with upgraded bulbs thats what i use u will just have to wire the plug which s easy