21 litres isnt big enough?

Jan 3, 2008
Cambridgeshire UK
so a 5.5 gallon or 21 litre tank isnt big enough for some goldfish?
someone said having it is a bad idea
im really concerned now that ive done wrong in getting it,
i was only going to put 2 or 3 fish max in it

:(

help!!!

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
All Goldfish can and will grow to 12 inches if given the chance. By putting them into small spaces you are stunting their growth which can and will cause health problems. Also Goldfish are extremely messy and putting them into a small and a possibly unfiltered tank the ammonia builds up which they can tolerate to an extent, but once it gets to high or you do a water change (and most people with goldfish just change all the water) you shock the fish cause you are changing the conditions of their water drastically. So no a small tank is not a good home for Goldfish. Now with that said it is an ok starter home if done right but before too long (a couple of months or so) they will need to be upgraded.

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
A friend of mine has three large goldfish in a 10 gallon tank. Every week she does a 100% water change and washes the filter in the sink with regular tap water. She's been doing this for over a year. I told her to get a bigger tank, but of course that will never happen.

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
The general rule is:

1 goldfish: 20g Tank
2 Goldfish: 30g Tank
3 Goldfish: 40g Tank

so on and so on..so, if you put some little ones in your tank now...but are going to get a 40-60 gallon tank in the next 2-3 months...your good to go.

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Ive never heard of this 'rule' but I think that 20G is much too small for a full grown/large goldie. Also doing 100% water change (as I said before) is NOT a good idea. It cause catastrophic results, not saying it will everytime but why chance it.

usacutie81

Large Fish
Sep 6, 2006
St Louis
Everyone is right, one goldfish in a 5.5 gallon is too much, let alone having 2 or 3. Your best bet would be to get a much bigger tank, or get different fish. Personally, I'd get a bigger tank, use the 5.5 as quarantine. It's always good to have more tanks IMO. *BOUNCINGS

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Your 5.5 is too small for even a temporary goldfish home. Goldfish not only get very very large, they are also very messy fish and a tank of that size can not sustain the amount of bio-load a goldfish will put on it.