220L fish tank on 2 joists will it be safe

Feb 8, 2009
hi i've just brought a bigger tank to home my growing oscar but i need some advice

my living room has a large chimney next to that is my main back wall the gap between is 110cm 50cm deep heres a picture

the tank is 100cms long 40cm wide so will sit over all the 2 joists up to the brick work

will the joists take the wait it holds 448lbs of water and i belive the stand and tank is 220lbs not 100% sure so say between 50 to 60 stone i recon

from joist to foundation is 150cm maybe more only had a small peep should i pull up my floor and add a concrete block with a 4x4 like this guy did

i may be worrying over nothing the shop told me its fine to even have upstairs but i have small kids between 1 and 6 and dont want them getting hurt

thanks for any help

Jun 21, 2008
I recently set up a 55 gallon tank (I think yours is about 58 gallons for comparison) and it actually is upstairs and it's fine. The research I did basically said that anything 55 gallons or smaller is pretty much ok as long as you get it good and level and the stand is structurally sound. So, off hand I think it's probably fine, especially since it's close to the wall and already over 2 joists. But you should wait for some other opinions. The forum is typically slower on weekends, so you may have more luck tomorrow.

Feb 8, 2009
thanks mate by the way its against 3 walls to the right is a main wall on the back of the house. behide the tank is the main wall to my joint neighbours house and on the left is the large chimnley so does that count as 3 baring walls

the house is pretty old i belive i have two small downstairs rooms both the same size like this with large chimneys i have a 37" lcd bolted to one them

a friend of mine recons as the gap between the 3 walls is 110cms by 50cms and the tank is 100cms by 40cms all the load will be stight on the brick work just want to be 100% sure before i fill it up

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2009
ok bit of a update the tank dont fit lol
they listed it as max 100cm i even called to make double sure but its here and 108cm from wall to wall i only have 104cm so no good next to chimney

we moved the sofa and put the tank next to a wall between front and back rooms its also the wall that supports the stairs we have 2 brick walls in the middle of the house between rooms with a cuboard inside and stairs above

ive marked out the joists and if i add 3inchs each side with board under the stand i can take up four 7x2 joists is this my best bet

also today ive been told by aqau one that the stand and tank empty weigh 242lbs plus 220ltrs of water at 484lbs so 726lbs i wont be adding rocks dont have the room with the oscar so only other thing in the stand will be fillter ect

oh also my sofa is now faceing the tank other side of room but on the same joists just on other wall facing it the room is no bigger then 3.5m square

please please help

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
i have a 55 gal tank on one side of my livingroom (apx 14x12 room) and a 110 gal on the other side and about 4 feet away is a 20 gal and a 10 gal tank and have had no problems with the weight of the tanks. i have the tanks agains walls but 110 and other two little ones are on walls that aren't supported by the basement wall only the 55 gal is. the main floor support is a few feet from being under the 110 and little tanks and still no problem. i don't think you will have any problem with yours but good to see you make sure you don't.

Feb 8, 2009
thanks for the info mate i'm sure mine would of set fine across four 7x2 joists but my wife wouldnt allow it unless checked 1st so she called a builder and was told it needs a 1.5m dense wall built from foundation up 3days laybour work at that point i took the phone from her and hanged up before the quote

i tried telling her that four 4x4 timber under from foundation would do the same as a wall plus take 10mins laybour and cost next to nothing also that it wouldnt even need that anyway as the builder will try to make the most out of it so she should of rang a engineer.

anyway i didnt want it to end with a divorce so ive called the shop back and had it swaped for a 180ltr with max weight is 39 stone full and fits between are chimney and main wall like we wanted. plus in this 1m gap the brick work comes out each side to hold the joists so all the weight will be on the brick aslong as i span a 1m