23 gallon stocking/setup questions

Finney

Small Fish
Jun 17, 2005
I’m finally done final exams so now I get to set up my “big” fish tank. It’s actually only a 23 gallon, but it’s a step up from my 5 gal. I’m getting my first few fish tomorrow (tank has been filled and running for 3 days) and just wanted to check if my plan sounds ok to more experienced fishkeepers.

1. I will get either 4 male guppies to start with, or 2 male guppies and 2 male platies, depending on the stock at the LFS.

I’m going to move some filter material, gravel and decorations from my established 5 gallon into the 23 gallon, to help start the cycle. I have a Seachem ammonia alert and will also be testing the water daily to make sure there aren’t any dangerous spikes. I’ll also have a few live plants. As a general rule, should I do a partial water change if the ammonia level rises above 1.0 ppm? I was going to wait until a few days after I add the fish to put in the filter material and gravel so the good bacteria don’t all die off before there is any ammonia for them to use. Will this work?

2. After the cycle is finished and levels are safe, I would like to add the following fish:

5 dwarf neon rainbows
1 male krib
3 small cories or 2 otos

Will the krib be ok with the guppies, or will they become a snack? I was going to get a krib pair, but I think I’ll wait until I’m more experienced to try breeding.

Also, would a female betta be compatible in this tank? I don’t know much about them. Would she be happy alone and would she leave the other fish alone? I just thought a female would be colorful and add some personality.

Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks.

Finney

Small Fish
Jun 17, 2005
Thanks for the reply. No, my male betta and 2 otos will be staying in the 5 gallon and the guppies for the 23 gal. will be new. The 5 gallon has an Aquaclear 20 power filter and the new tank has a larger Whisper power filter. I was going to transfer the filter sponge and some of the BioMax Ceramic Rings from the 5 gallon's filter into the 23 gal's filter. I've had a new filter sponge sitting in the 5 gallon tank for about a month, with the thought that hopefully some good bacteria have colonized the sponge and I'll put this new sponge in the 5 gallon's filter in an attempt to prevent a mini-cycle in the 5 gallon after it's old sponge is gone. Sorry if that sounds totally confusing. Hopefully it will work ok. I will do the media switch the same day I get the new fish, as you suggested.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I'm not sure on the krib. Other than that, it sounds good to me. A female betta would get along fine in there.

Water changes if it gets above 1ppm would be fine. With just 4 fish in there, it shouldn't spike too much, especially since you've got the filter media to put in there.