25 gallon stocking questions

roweb_13

Small Fish
Oct 28, 2006
I recently bought a 25 gallon aquarium to replace my 10 gallon, and i was wondering what kind of fish i should get, The tank is not yet cycled but I would love a Cichlid or even a Discus ( not sure about them though) Also would an Elephant Nose or any type or Knifefish be possible to put into my tank? I have a filter meant for 30-50 gallons so are there any suggestions?

Feb 10, 2006
Bay Area, CA
Most of those fish you mentioned can do well in a 25 gallon tank.

I know for sure that most knifefish will grow too large for the tank. Discus should be kept in small groups at the very least. One wouldn't be too good for the fish. Two can be kept, if they turn out to be a mated pair. And three, just don't try it.

Almost all of the dwarf cichlid species will be fine in a 25 gallon tank. I think one angelfish would be an awesome centerpiece fish for your tank. But of course, I like community setups. That way you can have more fish and more activity.

Even though you have a filter meant for a larger tank, it doesn't take care of the fact that you have a volume of 25 gallons. It will keep the tank cleaner and allow you to keep fish with bigger bioloads, but it won't allow you to keep say as many fish permissible to a 50 gallon.

Good luck and happy choosing.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I would say no to the knifefish or discus, the tank is just too small. You do have a lot of options as far as stocking goes. You might be able to do a cichlid tank if you choose your inhabitants carefully.

You could have an angel fish, or some dwarf cichlids like rams or apistos. I don't that much about cichlids, but some other users do. You can look through the profiles and find some fish you like, or go to your LFS and come back with the names of some fish that catch your interest.
EDIT: You can also go to your local library and check out a few books on fish.

Last edited:

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
you could have a discus in there, but the perfer to be in groups or mated pairs. but one would work.
then you could add a tetra school and some panda corys to the tank

or you could always go the community route. get some platies, guppies, swordtails, (whatever your fancy), some tetras, corys, kuhlii loaches.
then for dwarf cichlids i would definately suggest a german blue ram, golden ram, krib, bolivian ram, or possibly the beautiful apistos :)

many many options

roweb_13

Small Fish
Oct 28, 2006
Well after some research I have somewhat of an idea of what I would like to do with my tank. I have decided to do a Dwarf Cichlid tank because many of the Dwarf Cichlids are quite peaceful but look amazing. Heres what I have thought of:

1 Lavender Mbuna's
2 Cockatoo Cichlids
1 African Butterfly Cichlid
1 Zipper Loach
1 Pictus Catfish

Is this overstocked or understocked or just right because I was also thinking of maybe a Keyhole Cichlid or a Cylindricus, Maybe even a Blue Ram. So are they're any thoughts?

roweb_13

Small Fish
Oct 28, 2006
Okay I just reliased what I had done and I completley forgot about the regions. But this is what I personally think I would like I'm just a bit worried about size sp tell me if there are any serious problems and if its over or under stocked.

1 Borellis Dwarf Chiclid
2 Dwarf Cockatoo Cichlid
1 Panda Dward Chiclid or Blunt Head Chiclid
1 Clown Pleco
1 Zipper Loach ( or any other small loach)

Igor The Cat

Superstar Fish
Jul 14, 2003
Seattle, Washington
Africans and South American cichlids can't be mixed together because African lakes have hard water, while South America has soft, acidic water.
Actually they can be succesfully mixed if your carefull, but not for a beginner.

I would recommend a barb tank, i Think a bunch of tiger barbs would add some nice activity to a tank that size, think 5 or 6 with a decent size clean up crew.

cheers

I find a problem with that stocking list. Too many dwarf cichlids, they all take up the bottom region of the tank and are territorial. It would be best to take 1 or two dwarf cichlid(s), some schooling fish, and possibly an angel or something for the centerpiece. You could add a few other fish like otos or something. IMO, anything under a 55g isn't enough for a cichlid tank.