250 watts over a 20 gal?

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
Would it be a good idea, or even feasable to put 250 watt MH pendant over a 20 gallon?

If not, could i raise the pendant around 24" in order to disperse and lessen the effects of the halide bulb?

Jan 16, 2004
Syracuse, NY
Yes it would, if your growing light loving corals like sps or some lps, I was thinking about a 250 watt over a 25 gallon, its 10 watts a gallon, but that really is unneccessary, and kind of a waste. But it is possible. Or you can go 175 watts, that would be 8.75 watts a gallon, or maybe even lower that to a 150 watt. Its up to you. Just be careful the light doesnt heat up the water.

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
Right now i have a bunch of softies (leather, shrooms and zoo's) But only because that's the only corals i could keep with my previous lighting. I'm getting this 250 because its the only thing available to me (for $80). I imagine it will make my tank more suited for sps and lps, but i'm really happy with that. I love lps corals and i can see the attraction in sps, although i dont share it quite as much as most others.

I think i'll bury my zoo's and other softies in the lower most level, and plan for some more light intensive corals. Think this will work, or will i have way to hard a time dealing with heat, evap, etc.

Managuense

Superstar Fish
May 16, 2003
Springfield, MO
the only way i can think of you actually able to maintain temperature would be to run a sump....possibly even a larger one than your main tank for extra water volume.

i would think that that much MH would raise your temp too high even if it were a foot or more above your tank.

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
Ahhh crap. I really hope i can make this work. Putting in a sump is not an option, i live in canada so might be able to maintain some sort of balance. If i leave the tank at room temperature it's usually somewhere around 70-72. I assume the MH couldn't raise it more than 8 degrees, i could be wrong but that seems a little intense.

I was planning on mounting 2 computer fans on both sides of the tank, would that be enough to keep it under control?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
It can be done, but your lps will likely bleach. SPS, zo's , softies will love it. Just because they tolerate lower light doesn't mean it's their normal env