26 Gallon Tank

Tomas

Medium Fish
Jan 1, 2006
I have a 26 gallon tank with no cover or anything. Now, my question is, could I buy everything I need for around $50 or am I better off buying a 10 gallon kit with everything that I need.

Also, do they even make covers for a tank like that, I know it is custom made so...

~Chaz

Last edited:

eah

Small Fish
Jun 4, 2006
Mass
Where are you located? If you're in the US, I would check out craigslist.com in your area and see if you can find some used equipment that might work with the tank. If it were me, I'd much rather have the 26 gallon since a 10 gallon tank will limit you considerable as far as what fish you can have.

Based on my little experience on this forum, it seems like prices vary dramatically at different local fish stores. You may be able to order most of what you need online for relatively cheap. What exactly are you looking to get for the $50? If it's just a filter, substrate, top and light I think you might be able to squeeze by. Also, keep in mind that some of the big chains have better prices online but will honor them in the store.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Tomas

Medium Fish
Jan 1, 2006
eah said:
Where are you located? If you're in the US, I would check out craigslist.com in your area and see if you can find some used equipment that might work with the tank. If it were me, I'd much rather have the 26 gallon since a 10 gallon tank will limit you considerable as far as what fish you can have.

Based on my little experience on this forum, it seems like prices vary dramatically at different local fish stores. You may be able to order most of what you need online for relatively cheap. What exactly are you looking to get for the $50? If it's just a filter, substrate, top and light I think you might be able to squeeze by. Also, keep in mind that some of the big chains have better prices online but will honor them in the store.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
Nothing in craigs list. Well, I just want the basic setup so I can keep some Zebra Danios and what not, nothing fancy, just the minimum. Could some one make me a list of best things for me that I should get?

bighit22

Large Fish
Apr 22, 2006
New Mexico
company wise, im nery satisfied with topfin, and eclipse. you probably cant get an eclipse if it is a custom tank. check the dimensions on your tank and peruse places like ebay and aquabid.com. as far as i know, topfin has a huge variety, and makes many "things" (hood, filter, decorations, gravel). but yeah, just keep your eyes on online bidding sites.

Tomas

Medium Fish
Jan 1, 2006
Well, I want to get all my stuff at petsmart. Even tough its custom, I seen tanks just like it in my lfs so I know I could find stuff for it. What are the minimum things I need for it for basic fish.

~Chaz

bighit22

Large Fish
Apr 22, 2006
New Mexico
heater (depends on room temp) thermometer, light, filter, gravel, decorations (a few hiding places), test kit, probably a siphon, food, net (just in case)....hmmm... i know im leaving something out...

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
The basic things you need are a filter, a heater, a thermometer and a hood of some kind. You don't really need a light, but it's hard to see your fish without one :)

To be honest, PetSmart is pretty expensive compared to online stores. I've found most equipment almost half price from places like Big Als.

Tomas

Medium Fish
Jan 1, 2006
bighit22 said:
heater (depends on room temp) thermometer, light, filter, gravel, decorations (a few hiding places), test kit, probably a siphon, food, net (just in case)....hmmm... i know im leaving something out...
Could I get all that for $50?

bighit22

Large Fish
Apr 22, 2006
New Mexico
i think so. i got a whole setup for my tank (including tank) for about $55 at petsmart (topfin brand). i bet you could almost easily do that. but be careful, i noticed that gravel isnt cheap. long story short, i bet you could do it.

Tomas

Medium Fish
Jan 1, 2006
Abouts that Als place, could some one give me links for everything I need to buy( I know its a long shot, but if someone has time on their hands) and maybe I could just get everything online..

~Chaz

eah

Small Fish
Jun 4, 2006
Mass
Well, others will certainly want to add to this, but I would say that you definitely need:
- a filter
- extra filter catridges
- a top for the tank so fish don't jump out
- fish food, a net
- water conditioner (to remove chlorine and/or chloramine from the water when you do your regular water changes)
- and, (for tropical fish) a heater and a thermometer.

Then of course, you'll probably want substrate and something to decorate the tank with. I bought a very cheap bag of gravel for a few dollars but the decorations might get you since you're trying to do all of this for under $50. If you don't want to buy decorations for the tank you can look online and find lists of rocks that are safe for fish tanks. Here's a link
http://www.uniquaria.com/articles/sr.html to get you started.

Definitely check to see if Petsmart will honor their online prices in the store because it could definitely save you a few bucks if they do and you come prepared! One more thing, I'm sure you probably know this already, but just in case you don't: make sure that you let the tank cycle before stocking it fully and be sure to do regular water changes so that your nitrate levels don't get too high. You don't need to buy water testing kits right away because you can always bring a sample of your water into the petsmart and they'll test it for you for free.

Edited to add: hahaha, I'm such a slow poster. You all beat me to it while I was typing up my list!

Tomas

Medium Fish
Jan 1, 2006
I do know about the cycle, thanks :). Also, I looked at Als and I cant find a hood for my tank and all the filters cost like 60 dollars, which is pretty outrageous, any ideas?

~Chaz

Jun 22, 2006
Drs Foster and Smith also has good prices on canopies and lights. Get the measurements and puchase by size. Also, try going to garage sales for tanks. I purchased a 25 gal. for 5 dollars, a 40 gal with stand and all equip. for $40 much cheaper then new