27 gal Hexagon tank filter

MrBungle

Large Fish
Oct 18, 2006
NY, on an island...
hello everyone. I have had my tank down for a few years and decided to get a new filter instead of the ugly undergravel one. I got a Cascade 150. My question is, because my tank is 24" deep, does the tube that sucks the water in have to be near the bottom of the tank? This one reaches maybe 1/3 of the way down. Here is a pic. Thank you.

Last edited:

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
You will probably have to be sure to vacuum your gravel as the filter won't be able to remove much of the stuff below it. Also, it looks like you've cleaned and dried the whole tank? That means it will have to cycle again with or without fish, read the stickies on the beginners forum for info on cycling.

MrBungle

Large Fish
Oct 18, 2006
NY, on an island...
Yes I have cleaned and dried the tank. I used to vacuum the gravel pretty good even when I had the underground filter so thats no big deal. I just want the filter to do it's job. As for cycling, the guy at a lfs said you put 2 danios in there for like 2 weeks but now I might go fishless so I can add fish right after it's done. I will probably want to put a couple gouramis at first.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
It's kind of hard to say how the filter will perform in a tank that deep and narrow. You could perhaps test out the water flow while you're cycling and see if you end up with dead spots at the bottom of the tank.

If you find it's a problem, you could easily add an extension tube to the filter intake to help create more flow throughout the tank.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
p.s. You don't just "add" a fish in there for a few weeks, read up on the stickies in the beginners forum for complete info about tank cyling fishless and non-fishless. Especially water changes!

Oct 15, 2006
It shouldn't take too long..
My ten gallon hex, I use a Hagen AquaClear 30 on it,... A lot I know, but it gets the job done nicely..
Its just that I don't have experience in All-Glass heaters..