270 Gallon Project

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
Hi everyone,

After a 45 minute drive each way, 30 minutes removing tank from house, 1 crushed finger with a deep bloody cut, a quick dislocation in a shoulder that corrected itself instantly and a few other minor cuts and scraps my 3 friends and I just picked up a 270g (72"x24"x36") aquarium (used tank)
Eheim 2260 Canister fillter, including eheim substrate Pro, off of my mom's freind who moved and said if I want the tank and can move it the tank is mine :) and only $100 for the filter.
So for another $20.00 gas and $25.00 for pizza for friends, I now have a $600.00 filter and $150.00 in substrate Pro and a tank worth probably around $1500.00. Not a bad deal!

Here is the thing I don't like the dimensions of the tank (plus I chipped a small part off the edge during the move) I want to take it appart and recut the glass to my desired dimensions of (70"x30"x20") apprx. 180g. and have the tank drilled for a sump. My question is what is the best way to remove the silicone and dismantal the glass? Keep in mind this tank weighs apprx 400-600lbs.

Please only educated replies, know guesses! Thanks :)

Mahamotorworks

Superstar Fish
Aug 26, 2006
Thule, Greenland
www.myspace.com
What you will have to do is remove all the trim. Remove all the Silicone inside the tank. Then carefully using a razor blade get between the glass panels and cut the silicone. It will take a long time. Then you will have to clean the old silicone and resize the glass. Depending on how thick it is you may have to take it to a glass company. Then after you have it the right size. You will have to re assemble the whole thing. It will be a lot of work.

To me personally I really dont think it is worth it. I would enjoy the extra 80 gals. I take it this will be a SW tank?

MAHA

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
I'm not worried about the time involved as I enjoy projects like this, as for the extra gallons I really don't like the 36" height of the tank and only 24" depth, so it will be worth it for me to resize, plus then I can get the tank drilled (alot easier to move I piece of glass as aposed to the whole tank).

So just razor blades and elbow grease?

Mahamotorworks

Superstar Fish
Aug 26, 2006
Thule, Greenland
www.myspace.com
SALTY WATERS said:
So just razor blades and elbow grease?
Basically.

Other then that you will need Lacquer Thinnner to remove the silicone. New silicone. Then other supplies as needed. When getting razor blade I would get the pack of 100 Single edge ones. I know on GARF they have building one but I dont think I have come accross Dismanteling one. I will look.

MAHA

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
SW4life yes it was on old FW tank built into the wall which is why I have no stand for it at this time as the stand was part of the wall and we would have had to do some rewiring and what not to remove it so I said no thanks to that... the tank alone took a good toll on us :( lol

Mahamo. Thanks I will look into this later in a rush now off to Detroit to pick up family from the airport.

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
Well just for fun I called an aquarium shop and asked for a quote on a tank this size and they said approx $2500.00, looks like I got a better deal then I thought!

I know I need to make sure the tank is not temperd, but thanks for checking.

I decided I'm going to try and sell the tank locally for now, as it is winter here (Kinda) and to cold to be stripping silicone out side, plus I really don't have a place to store the tank other then my parents garage for the time being. So if I can not sell it within a month or two I will then dismantel it and then resize the tank. (After that time my parents will want there garage back)

If anyone lives in the Kitchener/Waterloo Ontario Canada area and is interested in the Tank or Filter PM me!

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
Ya I know but I underestimated the weight of this tank before I actuall picked it up and was thinking I would have been able to but it in my parents basement for now until I get back from Europe next year.... Well not a chance I can get it down there without causing major damage to the house, to many tight turns, and surely there would be some casualties by the end :(
not worth the risk, that is why I'm going to try and sell it, if it doesn't sell in a month or two I will have to dismantell it if I can not find somewhere it can be stored as my parents will not let me use the garage that long and my appartment is on the second floor and to small for a tank of this size.

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
I hope you've costed this up as it is going to hit you for multiple thousands of dollars, especially if you're not especially astute at geting used, or discount kit. Setting up a 200 gallon ran me 2000 dollars plus, and I bet I'm better at being cheap than most anyone else, and that doesn't include spare water or live rock, or anything 'non essntial' like calcium reactors, phophate reactors blah, blah, blah. Have you even costed lighting (4 - 6 times metal halide + running costs).

Just a thought...
Big tanks are always cheap second hand as the market is so small....

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
GIS Guy said:
You could always dismantle it and then store the flat glass pieces.

That is the plan if it doesn't sell in a few months time!

I already called to get a quote on cutting the glass and it was like $2.50 or something like that per straight cut and $16.00 per hole. So resizing will not cost to much other than a few bucks and some time and effort on my part.

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
Go on cost it up, and see how it looks..... there are ways and means to beat the cost down, but there is a bottom line below which you're really just not going to beat, especially if you buy anything decent.

But 3000+ for a 20! What are you spending the money on? I really don't see that. And I have some tunze kit in my 20, and it still came up pretty cheap

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
TheFool said:
But 3000+ for a 20! What are you spending the money on? I really don't see that. And I have some tunze kit in my 20, and it still came up pretty cheap

That is in Canadian dollars!

I've got $200.00 just in Electrical outlets and timers

Over $1000.00 (Reatal value) in live stock...

40lbs LR @ between $9.99 and $6.99 lbs

Once you add in all my other stuff like tank/stand, pluming, Return pump, sump/fug, skimmer, heaters, powerhead.....etc. Not to mention all the test kits, reef supliments, salt... I can go on! But I think you get the point. Trust me I know the costs involved.

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
Well just an update incase anyone was wondering what happend with this...

I just sold the tank and filter for $425.00, my parents where happy to get there garage back! I'm happy as well but at the same time was looking forward to building my own custom tank.