29g needs more fish!

Dory17

New Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Hello everyone! This is my first time posting here, seems like a great site! I came in hopes that I could receive some ideas for what types of fish to put in my understocked 29g aquarium. The tank's actually been running for quite awhile, over 3 years now, but it could definitely use some more fish. Right now I currently have five serpae tetras and one lonely zebra danio, and figure that now is as good a time as any to start adding more fish! I definitely plan on adding more danios, but I'm unsure of what else. I would really love to have a pearl gourami in there, but would my tetras be a problem? I basically just want a good variety of fish, with one or two fish being the "main focus". Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!*twirlysmi

love_fish

Large Fish
Sep 25, 2005
New York, US
Try to get some livebearers and/or corys. Maybe some mollies of your liking, and get about 3/4 females and a male. Then get whatever type of catfish that you like (corys) if you can fit it.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Gouramies would be nice so long as the danios and tetras don't get nippy. A nice shoal of each should keep the pesky behavioir down to a dull roar and within each group. You might want a few bottom dwellers to balance the tank -- some yoyo loaches, striata loaches, corys, kuhlis, or whatever appeals to you that remains small enough.

PlecoCollector

Superstar Fish
Aug 21, 2005
Clinton, NY
Maybe some Platy, a few cory, and maybe a dwarf type pleco (Clown or rubbernose)? I think Zebra Danio make a good "main focus" for your tank since they're so active and usually hang out in the front areas. I know mine make a great focus, but then, that maybe because they're pink ;)
Good luck stocking you tank!

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I agree with the suggestion for bottom feeders. Cories or small loaches will add lots of activity on the bottom. You could probably get away with a gourami as a focus fish... they are very personable, and do good in a semi-aggressive tank. If you can, try to get a female pearl gourami as their fins don't get as long as males can. You might have to add more serpaes so they leave other fish alone.

cybersymes

Large Fish
Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
hey there...all good advice in the preceeding mails...
[i'm a newbie so it's all good info for me too]...

i'd just like to put a vote in for your bottom swimmers...
corydoras trilineatus...
fantastik silver leopard-striped helmet-headed shoaling dudes...
i hope to end up with six in my 40[imp]...
they look great and are very active and entertaining...

all the best with your tank... :)