2Gallon stocking

I<3Platys

Small Fish
Jun 30, 2012
California
Hi! so i bought a tiny 2 gallon tank at petco a year ago and all that i have in it is some plants... BTW, it does have a heater and filter! I want to start stocking it and i want to know what will fit. I know that it will be small for fish but i want to know what shrimp, snails or fish (besides bettas) that will fit. Thanks so much! I love shrimp espessially if they are colorful and snails that are unique looking!

GooGirl

Large Fish
Nov 20, 2012
Walla Walla Washington
Good snails: nerites. They come in a few beautiful patterns like leopard and zebra! I have a 'chocolatey' zebra nerite. The only bad thing is that they lay their eggs EVERYWHERE on the glass and ornaments.

Good fish: maybe a couple of neon tetras? Do some research first, because I have never had them and don't know how much room they would need. I was just thinking in terms of tiny, colorful fish. :p

Sorry can't help you much on shrimp. My friend has a bamboo shrimp. Look 'em up, maybe you can get one for your tank!

Note: DO RESEARCH before following my advice. I have only been into fish keeping for a little over a year now, and I am not an expert!!

Last edited:

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
One or two guppies would be good. They are very colorful and stay small. Or balloon mollies, they are very unique looking, colorful and stay pretty small. And I think they have alot of personality.

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
Unfortunately, 2 gallons is not really suitable for housing any fish. A 5 gallon minimum is often recommended for bettas and personally I agree.
Tetras are not suitable for a 2 gallon tank because they like to live in groups of 4+. Guppies and mollies are also not suitable for such a small tank because they have limited swimming room.

For a 2 gallon I would only suggest having snails or shrimp. There are some very cool snails on the market. I would check and see what your LFS has access to.
A cherry shrimp colony would be pretty neat, especially if you have plants in your tank. I have a small colony in my puffer tank and they are so active!

Dec 24, 2012
You should not be on this site!! 2 gallons?! Seriously?!?! I'm glad you have a heater!!! Yeah right!! That little tank couldn't even hold my goby dragon! You should be ashamed of yourself!!!

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Cherry shrimp would be great in there. If it were me, I'd be inclined to add a handsome betta or a sparkling gourami (these stay small - have been looking at them and they are gorgeous). But you can also have a very interesting tank with just shrimp and plants, maybe an oto for algae clean up.

I<3Platys

Small Fish
Jun 30, 2012
California
Masterbalter, I am on this site for help from kind, experienced aquarists, not jerks who just like to be rude to people! I have used this site many times and havnt once been talked to so Rudley! You should be the ashamed one! As for evereyone else, thanks so much for your input! My tank is stocked with 4 ghost shrimps, one pregnant and a yellow apple snail. Thanks so much!