3 Gallon Eclipse tank; opinions/options?

Corey

Small Fish
Sep 21, 2009
So I recently got a 3 gallon eclipse tank for my dorm room. I have 3 African dwarf frogs in it and a snail. Would it be possible to add anything else (ghost shrimp? another ADF? replace snail with shrimp?) etc. or would that be overstocking it. Any opinions or anything would help. I'd get a picture if I had a digital camera, but I don't have one handy. I actually bought the frog-o-sphere and I decided to upgrade it because I felt it was cruel to keep those little guys in such a small space.

Thanks for any advice!
-Corey

thejava1

Small Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Well idk if you like snails or not, but even w/ my 90 gal tank- i've got a fleet of ghosts and I find them to be more intertaining than the fish. The fish can be watched, but these shimp can really be studied... idk i like em a lot. good cleaners too

Corey

Small Fish
Sep 21, 2009
I'm not a huge fan of snails, but could I throw in a shrimp with the frogs/snail? Would the frogs nip at him?

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
The frogs and snail are all pretty much bottom level creatures, if you added shrimp, they would also be low level. I think you could safely add two small guppies with regular water changes. They are upper level swimmers.

Violet

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
I keep recommending this I know, but I absolutely love nerite snails. I know you said you aren't a snail fan, but these little guys are quite pretty. I also love ghost shrimp, they are a lot of fun to watch, especially when they each have a different colour flake in their stomach, interesting to watch since they are see-through.

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
Just make sure your frogs are African Dwarf Frogs. Many stores mislabel their frogs and what should be labeled African Clawed Frog is actually named an African Dwarf Frog. The main difference is that Dwarfs have webbing in between their front toes. Clawed Frogs don't. They may seem like two very similar species but Clawed Frogs can grow to be the size of a human fist.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Very true. I see one at Petgoods all the time in their plant tanks, thats labeled dwarf, but is clearly about the size of a fist, like you described. I was looking for plants, and all of a sudden that thing swam up to the front glass and kinda startled me. It's effin huge. you wouldnt want to deal with those in a 3 gal lol.

If the glass shrimp is bigger than the frogs, or about the same size, and the frogs are fed well with live food, then they should be allright.

however as suggested get some fish or something that swims at the top or middle.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
the guppy probably wont care about the pH and all that (reffering to KH and GH) but the tetras might like a more acidic or neutral pH. see what water you have in the tank, test it with a test strip (im assuming you dont want to invest in liquid tests) and choose the fish right for the pH.

OR you could always wing it and just buy what you like hehe, but thats being a bit careless.

beckyd

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2009
I agree that the shrimp are fun to watch, but you're pretty much out of bottom space. I would go with 2 male guppies or a female betta. What's the filter/current like in the tank? My bettas hate currents. If its pretty calm, that would be an option. I recommended female because with ADFs, you need something that moves around more. My male bettas always just hang out. The females are funner to watch. Guppies run circles around them both. Just depends on how good you're going to be about water changes. If you add 2 guppies, your tank is pretty heavy on the bioload. It will be fine as long as you are diligent with water changes.

LadyLail

Large Fish
Dec 31, 2008
NC
www.myspace.com
Yeah, my vote's on a Betta, although I think males have great personalities myself! :)

Oh, and I've heard that about Mollies and Platys, but ahve never researched or tried because I personally don't care for either. Maybe it is true though???

Good luck and let us know what you decide!