30 Gal tank ideas

Jun 2, 2005
Luton, England
I've just bought my second tank which is a 30 gallon, it needs to go through the full cycle which is underway now.

I was going to initally stock it with Malawi Cichlids when it has finished its cycle however i'm now edging towards maybe trying some other South American Cichlids like Firemouths.

Is a 30 Gal suitable for Firemouths? if so how many would I put in the tank and what other fish would be good additions to the tank when running?

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
I am only responding to this because then it will go back to the top of the page. Cichlid Man is the one you need to talk to so Maybe post a new thread with "help me Cichlid Man!" hahaha. We see so many threads requesting help on stocking tanks that it must have gotten overlooked.

Jun 2, 2005
Luton, England
Update on the soon to be tank occupants for the 30 gal!

I've decided now that I will buy 4 Firemouths to begin with each just under 2 inches in size, to accompany the FM's I'm going to have Rosy Barbs probs 5-6 and a Clown plec I currently house in a 10 gallon.

2 of the FM's will eventually go back to the shop once I have a pair so that will mean the following in the tank for the long haul -

2 Firemouths
6 Rosy Barbs
1 Clown Plec

Does this sound ok for a 30 gallon 36x12x15 tank?

Appreciate your feedback :)