30 gal tank ideas

Mar 3, 2006
columbus, Tx
(when its cycled, if it ever happens, lol) this is what I planned to get:

1 bala shark (i already have him)
1 redtail shark (i already have her, at least i think its a her)
2 kissing gourami
2 blue gourami
3 tiger barbs (maybe, i'm interested in schooling fish)
1 clown loach (although they seem to be pretty big)

I want a pleco but i've heard that you might have a problem with the shark and pleco. Anyway, its a 30 gal unplanted (just the ol' fake stuff...lol) if this set up may not work, can you give me some suggestions?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Neither the kissing gouramis or the clown loach are suitable for a 30 gallon tank. Don't even think about getting them!

Gouramis in general should be kept singly. They really don't like eachother very much, especially blue gourami males, which is mostly what you'll find in stores.

Tiger barbs should be in schools of at least 6, and I don't think you really have room for 6 of them in your tank. Maybe some smaller tetras or rasboras would be a better choice in that tank.

As others have said in other threads, the bala isn't suited to a tank that small, and if you do want to keep them, they need to be in groups.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Don't get a common pleco, they get way too big for your tank. A dwarf pleco species such as a bristelnose, clown pleco (also called candystripe), bulldog/rubberlipped pleco, etc. would be OK.

Rasboras should be in groups of 5 or more. There are several kinds out there. The scissortail rasboras get a little too big for your tank, but the smaller species should be fine.