30 gallon cube tank

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
I'm thinking about starting a saltwater tank, and I really like the Oceanic 30 gallon cube but I have a few questions. I plan on getting live rock, so would I need anything other than a few powerheads? Would I need to get a skimmer? Also, I would like to keep some zoas & mushrooms, so how much lighting would I need? I've read that 8wpg is normally ideal for reef tanks, is that correct? The cube tank is only 20.5" wide though, and most of the lights that I've seen are 24". Anyone know of a good light that is about 20" wide? Thanks in advance :)

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Spend a lil more and get th 40gal. It's 24 inches wide. It's what I use as my planted discus tank.

Those extra 4 inches really make finding lights for it a lot easier.

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
I don't even really want something as big as a 30 gallon though, I just like the cube shape. I just want a nano to keep a clownfish and firefish, with some zoas and mushrooms. Live rock is so expensive that I definitely don't want to get a 40 gallon :eek:

Maybe I'll get the 24 gallon nano cube with deluxe lighting instead 24g Nano Cube Deluxe Information

Morgan,
I have THAT VERY Tank you are talking about. The shape does make it abit difficult finding lights for it. I did make a SW tank and it is absolutely gorgeous. Here is the light I found that fits my tank perfectly...

marineandreef.com/ Current USA SunPod HQI Metal Halide Light Fixture with Lunar Lights for Aquariums

I chose the 20 inch Metal Halide 150 watt one.....
Hope this helps.
There are a few of my threads about my tank in the SW section....
Any QQ ... just ask!

There is also these other options as well:
Big Al's Online Aquarium Supply

20" 1x96W Coralife Aqualight CF hood w/ Quad 50/50 -Square Pin

Last edited: