30 gallon tanks

schrophi

Small Fish
Apr 19, 2005
Tampa
Do u guys have 30gallon tanks?
If yes could you send me some of your pictures or post it. I would like to see a nice cool looking 30gallon tank to see what i can do with mine.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Agree with the above comments - plan, buy decent kit and go slow and life is pretty easy.
But with 5 fish in 60 + gallons my life is pretty easy anyway.

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
With a 30 gallon you're pretty well open to a lot of possibilities, if i had the money i'd go for a 30 gallon instead of my forcasted 20g. Easy to light (it's all relative of course), impressive size but not overwhelming, can fit a lot of junk (corals etc). you're only limits are really the fish you put in.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
If you just take the stuff for a 20 and slap it straight on a 30 you are so much better off, simply due to that extra volume...

Though the difference is not so colossal as taking all the stuff from a 10 and sticking it in/on a 20 or larger.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
an angel and a clown will pretty much fill up your 30 in most cases...could probabyl squeeze in a goby or blenny but that would be about it imo

"how many" is a sort of poor question because you can fit more little fish in a 30 than big fish and some fish of equal size really require more space than others

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
sorry to go off topic.

But i'm moving to a 20 because right now i really really really dont have the money for a $100+ skimmer, and i've read and been told that a 20 gallon can get away with it. But a 30 gallon is really pushing it, and it's just less cost on rock and crushed coral. Where i live live rock and coral is incredibly expensive, so i'm trying to get an impressive display with a little less space and money.

That's something to keep in mind when you start a 30 gallon, it might be easier to spend a little less and get started with a 20. Not suggesting that, especially if you already have the 30, it's just those round about ways to get where you're going that might really help in the long run.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
remember, you won't be spending a fortune on coral all at once...filling a tank with nice corals is a slow process. the wonderful thing is they spread on their own given proper conditions so your tank will continue to change even when you aren't buying stock. LR is going to be the biggest chunk of any reef tank setup...it all should be bought at once so it is spendy, but that is the nature of the beast im afraid