3o G TANK AND EQUIPTMENT?

Endl98

Large Fish
Jul 26, 2006
long island , new york
ok so ive decided to get a 30 g tank due to the wife not wanting bigger.
i can score a free tank. or buy a complete kit.
from what i understand most kits have basic or cheap filters.
if i took the free tank and wanted to buy better equiptment. what would some of you reccomend. i would like to have something that is of good quality and ease of maint. there is so much on the market i really dont know what to get or what to stay away from.

thanks.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
If it's in decent shape, I'd go for the free tank. Does it come with a hood/light? That really makes a difference in how much money you save.

As for filters, I really like the Aquaclear filters. They're easy to set up and maintain and real workhorses. They're also pretty reasonably priced, especially if you get them through Big Al's or pricematch at PetSmart (they'll honor their internet pricing if you bring a printout of the page) :)

A 30 sounds great! How are you planning to split up the fish you have? Will you be keeping the 10 going as well?

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
There's a lot to consider when buying a filter...are you going ot have a planted tank? does filter noise bother you? How many fish and what type? I use a Fluval, a couple of Whisper's, Penguin bio-wheel and a little box/bubbler thingy (not all in the same tank obviously) They all have their pros/cons so I think you should figure out what you want to put in your tank first and go from there.

If you take the free tank, inspect the seals to make sure they don't look dried up or have cracks in them. Fill the tank up with water and let it sit for a few days to make sure there are no leaks.