40g Cichlid Tank Advice

Mar 23, 2009
I'm thinking about starting a larger (~40 gallon) tank, and was hoping for some expert advice on the kind of hardware I will need, as well as what kind of fish would be appropriate.

I'm leaning toward cichlids this time (I have very alkaline/hard tap water), specifically a mbuna community tank of about 10 fish + 1 appropriate algae eater/bottom feeder. I've read that a breeder (wider, shallower) tank is ideal for cichlids, and I want to know what kind of hardware (lighting, filtration, aeration, etc.) I would need for such a tank, and a rough cost estimate (hoping to get as much as I can through Craigslist).

I'm not looking for any exotic (read: hard to find, expensive) breeds, so stop me there if I'm barking up the wrong tree. If not, what breeds would you recommend for a first-time cichlid tank, and where might I readily find them?

Any advice that would be helpful to a first-time cichlid aquarist would be appreciated.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Hey congrats on doing some research before jumping in headfirst! :)

Personally I think a 40ish gallon tank would be a great starter size. A lot of cichlid tanks have a big footprint and aren't real tall because that works out well for them. They do rockscapes and a lot of cichlids like to move the substrate (gravel, sand etc) around. The rocks make it easy to rearrange and create lots of separate territories.

There are a zillion kinds of cichlids, so I'd take your time to look around at your local stores to see what types are available and then do some research on them. Some types are super expensive and rare, some are a dime a dozen. Some you can mix together, some really need to be in a species tank (one type), some are so territorial that you can only put one in a tank...

Before you decide on the specific fish though, I'd work on getting your equipment and then cycling your tank. Beware of listening to and trusting pet store/fish store employees because it is very sad how many of them have NO idea what they're talking about and think they do/sound like they do.

Then while your tank is cycling you can figure out your stocking plans for fish and hunt down some good tank deco :)

You will need a tank, a stand, a filter and at least one heater. Chances are good that if you keep your eyes open on craigslist you will be able to find a good deal that has most everything you want. You need to make sure that the tank frame is all intact and in good shape and make sure the stand was made to be a fishtank stand (that is a lot of weight that needs to be as evenly distributed as possible over the biggest area possible).

My personal favorite type of filter for any good size tank (say over 20 or so) is a canister filter. I have two eheim ecco canisters running and I love them :) Hang on the back filters are good too though, they just tend to be a little too loud for my taste.

You want like 2 to 5 watts per gallon of heater power. More if you live somewhere that it gets really cold in the wintertime. The bigger the tank, the more you ought to have two heaters instead of one. First as a backup if something happens to one of them, plus one wont have to work quite as hard and has a lower probability of burning out.

Sand or Gravel is completely up to you...there is an faq written here somewhere about sand...

Ok this is long enough for now :) what questions do you have?

Mar 23, 2009
Thanks FroggyFox.

I'll probably go with 2 HOB filters (AquaClear 30s or equivalent), since they will be completely out of view, and noise won't be a factor. Would that provide enough water circulation and aeration such that I wouldn't need to add a powerhead?

I've read that cichlids can undermine rocks, and that some people use a drop-ceiling light diffusing panel as a support for the rocks, with the gravel on top. Are there any unforeseen downsides to taking that kind of precaution?

Thanks again!