Nov 16, 2010
I have a very basic 5 gallon setup-
HO whisper filter
petco air pump w/small air stone
standard hood w/ single bulb outlet

1 Fantail goldfish (2in.)
1 gold algae eater (2in.)
1 ghost shrimp (tough to measure lol)

I have had this setup for almost 2 years with all the creatures in it (all healthy and happy)

I seem to go through light bulbs like they are going out of style... not that its a big deal, at >$2 a piece, but i have been consitering other options. Any suggestions?

Something like this? ---> 48cm 48 LED Aquarium White Strip Light Fish Waterproof - eBay (item 140472145689 end time Nov-29-10 08:02:53 PST)

Does anyone know about the effects of led lights on fish?

I would also like to note that all my friends say I spoil my fish for "just a goldfish" but in my eyes its worth it because it is a great little tank and i have grown quite attached.

Feb 27, 2009
Unless you are growing plants, the type of bulb will not matter. LEDs are fine and do not bother fish. The link you provided does not bring anything up to see the set-up (says its expired or been removed).

However, goldfish need at least 20 gallons of water. Keeping a fish that can grow 8-12 inches in a 5 gallon tank will stunt its growth and cause an early death. Not sure what type of algae eater you have, but some of those can get to be 24" long and will suffer the same stunting if not moved into the appropriate aquarium.

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
I have LEDs lighting my tank and I'm able to grow low light plants with no problems. If you ever want to grow anything else though don't go with LEDs.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
LEDs work. just dont get a blacklight and theres no need for actinic blue LEDs. just get white ones (cool white or warm white it doesnt matter, up to your preference)