5 gallon and a betta

mjohnst

Small Fish
Feb 1, 2005
Currently I have a quiet sponge filter in a 5 gallon tank. I used bottled water as it was recommended and my betta loves it. He's doing very well with himself and 1 snail but I have a need to add something else to the tank. I've heard he'll eat small ghost shrimp? Is there something else I can add? Dwarf frogs?

Mike.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
A lot of people keep and adf (african dwarf frog) or ghosties with their bettas...it pretty much depends on the temperament of your betta whether it will work out or not. The only thing I've ever tried with mine was a snail and guppies and an otto. The otto and snails left him alone...but he didn't get along with the guppies at all.

As for the bottled water...I'm not sure who told you that, but it really isn't necessary. In order to keep up with your tank water changes in a 5G you'd be going through at least 2G of bottled water a week and I dunno about you but my budget would NOT appreciate that :) I dont know if you tested it, but i've always seen the tap water pH being lower than bottled water. Unless your tap water is terrible...I'd suggest switching over to plain ol tap water with dechlorinator in it. (slowly if the pH is too different) Its cheaper for you and the fish probably wont even notice :)

mcshell

Large Fish
Jul 23, 2003
Vancouver BC Canada
Visit site
Just want to say that male betta and guppies may not work very well.
Guppies also have fancy tails and this may stimulate the male betta to attack them.
Of course, each betta is different and some may be able to live with guppies...

I agree that bottled water isn't really necessary. Aged water is almost as good and it's free. :)

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Right...sorry I wasn't clearer...those guppies didn't work well with him...female or male...it was a group of like 6 juvie guppies and they just kept getting in fights and stressin the poor betta out until chunks of tail started getting chomped on. He's much happier on his own now!

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
You could get 1 or 2 dwarf frogs to keep him company. They really are neat little buggers. My female gets along fine with my frog. I think you need a heater for dwarf frogs.

Depending on the betta, you could get shrimp instead of froggies. You could probably get 4-5 ghost or cherry shrimp in that tank.

You can actually just leave tap water out for 24 hours, instead of dechlorinating it. All the bad stuff will evaporate out.

mjohnst

Small Fish
Feb 1, 2005
here's what i have

Ok. I'm curious now whether i've overdone it.. although my betta is not killing anything nor does he appear to be totally wigged out.

I put in my 5 gallon:

2 Black Tetras
2 ADF's
4 mini ghost shrimp

and my betta.

Too much?!

I'm thinking of removing the tetra's.

Leopardess

Superstar Fish
Too much. Remove the tetras. Not only because of space constraints, but they are a schooling fish and need to be kept in larger groups (of six or more). Plus, I don't think blackskirt tetras will get along with the betta.

The betta, 2 frogs, and ghost shrimp should be okay if you clean the tank properly.

Please read this article I wrote on ADFs:
http://myfishtank.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23215

Last edited:

revfred

Superstar Fish
Jun 21, 2003
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I've kept small cories, otos, yo-yos, Honey gouramis with no prob. I'm sure there would be a problem with the blk tetras, and certainly with guppies. One thing I've found is some dense floating weeds is welcome by the betta and seems to be a place of rest if the other fish become too active. I would think cherry shrimp would be nice ... may try some myself ....