5 gallon

Nov 15, 2005
Port Dover Ontario
i just set up a tank about a week and a half a go i have a minifilter and a mini heater in it a fake plant and a real plant in it i started out by putting in 1 guppy and its still alive my dad got 3 more and they all dies but it was my dads fault because he only let the bag temperature get to the tank temperature for 5 mins so they all dies so i got 3 back and i had 4 now today another on dies what am i doin wrong

Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
'seed' your filter with some 'dirty' water from one of your other tanks filter...
water changes...10% every other day...

don't overfeed...hoover the substrate...
add fish slowly...one hour in the floating bag...
cup of tank water added to bag every 15 minutes...
[that's 3 cups in all]...

do not have too many fish...it's only a small tank ... :)

[that's wot i would do...i'm only a newbie... :)]

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
Chazwick said:
Don't leave the fish in the bag for an hour !!!! 20 mins the most... it's just not very good for them... I feel guilty walking to twenty minutes with them in the bags, that's bad enough!
the guy in the lfs said one hour...
[i trust him...he's a young dude...well into fish]...

so...place bag in tank...floating...

after 15 minutes...add one cup of tank water to the bag...
after 30 minutes...add one cup of tank water to the bag...
after 45 minutes...add one cup of tank water to the bag...

after one hour...add fish to tank...[i add bag water too]...
i add bag water as my lfs is cool with great tanks and water quality...

this has worked eight times now for me...no worries...
happy fish every time...

everywhere you go you hear different stuff... :):)

Jun 15, 2005
Mesa, AZ
Chazwick said:
Don't leave the fish in the bag for an hour !!!! 20 mins the most... it's just not very good for them... I feel guilty walking to twenty minutes with them in the bags, that's bad enough!
There's no difference between 20 minutes and an hour. Fish can live in a bag like that for a day or so, assuming its not full to the brim with water.

Sep 16, 2005
plants don't emit ammonia... so keeping one in your tank is not gonna cycle it. you have to buy ammonia at the lfs and do a fishless cycle or put some more fish through the stress of the ammonia spike of an uncycled tank.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
That's not cycling a tank. Cycling a tank involves establishing beneficial bacteria so your fish can survive in it. There are "stickies" at the top of this forum which explain cycling. From your own description, your fish have repeatedly died of ammonia or nitrite poisoning and it will continue to recur if you just keep starting over without keeping the "cycle" in mind.

Charlius

Medium Fish
Sep 18, 2005
discus4everGrl said:
yes the tank has got to cycle.

Fish can live in bags for an hour, heck people mail fish in bags in which they take a day to get to where their going.
Yea, but don't they put something in the water to relax or sedate them so they're not as active, stressed and use up as much energy and air?